Ships Nostalgia banner

Meadowbank

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rabaul 
#1 ·
Ship Radio Surveyor

Hello,

My name is James Campbell and I first went to sea as Radio Officer
on the Shell Tanker MARISA/GXFH (1972)
Did a few trips with Bankline MEADOWBANK and ended up in the RFA.
Came ashore and worked as Radio Officer WICK RADIO , NITON RADIO
and PORTISHEAD RADIO.
Have been a Ship Radio Surveyor for last Twenty Years.

#9 ·
Someone else who sailed on Meadowbank and ended up in the RFA!

"Meadow" was the first and last Bank Boat that I ever set foot on; the first time as a cadet in 1978 when she was in Baileys dry dock in Barry (with a cracked stern shaft) and the second time when we brought her out of lay-up at Blackwater in 1982.

Back in 2004 I started the arduous task of tracking down plans and photos in order that my father could build a model of the ship. Thanks to the wonderful people at Reederei Roth in Hamburg (managing the ship in her guise as Pro Atlantica) we came into possession of a large number of plans and photographs. I am now the VERY proud owner of a model that weighs in at just under six feet in length and a wonderful testimony to all that was superb about British shipbuilding. I have some nice Bank Line photographs; when I can work out how to reproduce colour slides I'll happily share them.

#12 ·
Cootaspice _ I was there and had the honour of being asked to help point he guests in the right direction. My first trip to sea , white uniform straight out of the packet - for the previous eight weeks I seemed to be dressed in a boiler suit that went from white - to yellow - to mucky grey as David kept me busy in a series of deep tanks. I have fond memories of the return trip via San Francisco and some great food at Fishermans Wharf. Best wishes to you both. _ I still enjoy the odd glass of Glenfiddich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.