Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone who knew my dad, **** Scullion. An engineering on the Megantic late 70’s

·
Registered
170 Posts
I remember a **** on this ship in 1976/77; but not his surname.

He was a greaser/storekeeper/ER PO.

Was this your dad?

Martyn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember a **** on this ship in 1976/77; but not his surname.

He was a greaser/storekeeper/ER PO.

Was this your dad?

Martyn
Hi Martyn. Thanks for message, it could be! I’ll ask him if he remembers you :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Martyn. Thanks for message, it could be! I’ll ask him if he remembers you :)
I was a deck cadet on the ship from May 1976 to February 1977. We did two trips; one Wallsend/Newcastle- Le Havre-Noumea-Bluff and home to Avonmouth, second was Sheerness, four ports in Europe, out via Suez; Chief had a heart attack and was landed in Fremantle; four port NZ discharge, load Timaru+Lyttelton; back via Panama to Liverpool. During the second trip, the DERBYSHIRE foundered, and we had quite a large Liverpool Malay crew who had friends on the latter. Bosun was A Jenkins, who had caught like severe pneumonia, and we were carrying a doctor outward who diagnosed it and treated him for the disease until NZ.

The other ER PO was Scottish; at sea, he grew a big beard, but shaved it off on arrival at UK. I remember faces, but not all the names..........

martyn

·
Registered
170 Posts
The other ER PO was Angus......

I've just remembered, I'm sure the '****' I was thinking of was **** Chapman, a Londoner.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Martyn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a deck cadet on the ship from May 1976 to February 1977. We did two trips; one Wallsend/Newcastle- Le Havre-Noumea-Bluff and home to Avonmouth, second was Sheerness, four ports in Europe, out via Suez; Chief had a heart attack and was landed in Fremantle; four port NZ discharge, load Timaru+Lyttelton; back via Panama to Liverpool. During the second trip, the DERBYSHIRE foundered, and we had quite a large Liverpool Malay crew who had friends on the latter. Bosun was A Jenkins, who had caught like severe pneumonia, and we were carrying a doctor outward who diagnosed it and treated him for the disease until NZ.

The other ER PO was Scottish; at sea, he grew a big beard, but shaved it off on arrival at UK. I remember faces, but not all the names..........

martyn
The other ER PO was Angus......

I've just remembered, I'm sure the '****' I was thinking of was **** Chapman, a Londoner.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Martyn
no worries! I’m sure he’ll still like to hear the stories when I speak to him later!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was 2/E on Megantic at that time **** Chapman was from London. I remember one Chief/E was Charles Sanderson and the other was Chalky Simpson. I can visualise most of the other engineers but can't remember their names. That's old age.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was 2/E on Megantic at that time **** Chapman was from London. I remember one Chief/E was Charles Sanderson and the other was Chalky Simpson. I can visualise most of the other engineers but can't remember their names. That's old age.
Are you Max S from Masterton?

If so, I've posted a message here;

Megantic (62) | Page 2 | Ships Nostalgia

Master; M Musson;C/O R Wooding; 2/0 (1) Ray Thomas (2) J Salter 3/0 (1)A Brinkworth (2) Martyn Bishop C/E L May (replaced by C Sanderson) 2/E M Stevens 3/E B Walton 4/E (1) ? (2) B Curtiss (Sp?) 5/E L Hobson Juniors D Bowler D Hornsby (plus others) Elec/O (1) A Smythe (2) M Pond (sparrow) 'Freezer' (1) F Lamb (2)D Finlay 2nd elec P Scott Purser Emil?. Deck cadets included C Jones, H Cavanagh,G Duncan, R Hall, N Prosser, R Lee, K Hodson. Eng cadet E Black.
Many of the P/Os were also on the ship for both trips, but not so certain of their names now.

Reply #24 from me has a reasonably full list of officers in late 76/early 77.

I was deck cadtet at the time.

Martyn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for more names :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm Len Michaels. The Muss was Master when I joined. I can't remember the 2/E I relieved but it was the trip after the engine room fire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm Len Michaels. The Muss was Master when I joined. I can't remember the 2/E I relieved but it was the trip after the engine room fire.
Thanks.

My trip were the two prior to the fire. We had a Kiwi 2/E, Max Stevens, on both trips and I wondered if you were him. Lou May was chief on my trips, but on the second, he was landed ashore in Fremantle after a heart attack, and then Charles S took over in New Zealand.

Martyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts