Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
The sailors on the forecastle would have their brains well microwaved by the radar on the bow.
There shouldn't be anyone up there - the working deck is one deck below.
The only thing there is a winch point if a helo is needed. Aft of that is a recreation area but hopefully that radar would not be in use at the same time....

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
The sailors on the forecastle would have their brains well microwaved by the radar on the bow.
Roddy, I have to remember. Might be on EUROLINER. Up on the foscle, you were Mate then. The tug came alongside and you called out, "Keep away from the radar scanner, your testicles will get fried!" Or similar quote.

Stephen

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
In my day the radar scanner was high up behind the MI and for'ard of the funnel.

What is the purpose of the one on the fo'scle?

BW
J:cool::cool:

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
With the height of some of these ships there are huge blind spots at close quarters.
Stern radar docking scanners are being installed on more ships now, but this one seems to be a fairly new concept.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Does the 1st Mate not brief the bridge any more when on mooring operations/stations or is it the case the Bridge rely entirely on screen technology in these cir***stance?

BW

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Surely a mooring camera set up would be more effective than a stupid radar scanner.

Remember the inquiry into the Herald of Free Enterprise recommending retro fitting of cameras for bow door activities. Still good today.

BW

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Unless someone can give a logical explanation then it seems like they fitted it 'because they can' .
IR cameras work in poor visibility, so why not?
Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
A sad day for seamanship. The days of experienced, and more often, correct calculations given way to gizmos and gone forever.
Sure, our days were the glory days of seamanship.

BW
J :cool::cool:

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
A sad day for seamanship. The days of experienced, and more often, correct calculations given way to gizmos and gone forever.
Sure, our days were the glory days of seamanship.

BW
J :cool::cool:
Sadly the same thing has happened to motor cars. Gone are the days of crouching at the front of the car in the pouring rain, joyfully wrenching away at the starting handle in the hope that, after pumping up some fuel into the carburettor from the tank (filled from a can of petrol that you had purchased with cash), you had remembered to set the choke appropriately and adjust the ignition to the correct degree of advance. No more the fun, once the engine had fired, of rushing to stow away the handle and check the oil pressure before engaging the clutch and driving away. Why are we denied the pleasures of working the windscreen wiper by hand to clear the view ahead, while adjusting the choke and ignition settings as the engine warms and the load increases as we carefully accelerate and select the gears without the interference of that gizmo, synchronised gearbox. No longer do I make use of the old army greatcoat or the ex-aircrew sheepskin coat to keep me warm in the winter, a fancy in-car heater takes over and my windscreen does not open to allow a cooling blast of air (and bugs) at the height of the summer. because it had been made permanently sealed to permit the new-fangled aircon to mollycoddle me. All the hard-earned skills and experience cast aside in the name of progress. It's a disgrace!

Sure, our days were the glory days of motoring.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Had one of those on a 1966 Triumph Spitfire that I once owned, so some things resisted change. All the other mentioned items had surrendered on that car though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
“I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea.” Alaine Gerbault, Sailor
It's very nice to seen such a Ship. ;););)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts