Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 80 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sorry Roger but I served aboard the CEYLON on her last Royal Navy commission 1958/60 out in the Far East station--she was sold to the Peruvian navy in 1960 and renamed CORONEL BOLOGNESI, Sailed from Portsmouth uk in February that year.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts

Until a mere twenty-five years ago, nothing like SN ever had existed - and for most of us today it is hugely refreshing to be able to turn the clock back, if only in our own minds, for far more than twenty five years. Much very useful information is exchanged

Vive SN!
There was shortwave radio, R/Os (active and retired) would exchange stories, but the internet really opened up the world for communicating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe you have all lost your sense of fun and the ridiculous? There's nothing better than a good laugh to lift spirits.
Try it. Start with me if you like.
A good sense of humour saved my bacon lots of times when in difficult situations as I travelled the world. Old age doesn't last.

·
Spongebob
9,335 Posts
How often have we said, or had said to us, "Stop me if I have told you" or "Have I ever mentioned " and many similar phrases that serve as a cautionary introduction to yet another nostalgic story . Some stark truth, some embellished , some pure bull dust , but all in the gem category.
Keep them coming .

Bob

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In bed with a flu for a week.
And nobody gave a damn.
Some time ago, on a four day passage I had four day 'flu'. Standing watch and watch was a bit tough, but manageable. On arrival at the destination the 'flu' was gone, but I was coughing blood, so went to the vet. I was x-rayed and told there were pneumonic scars on my lungs and no treatment was needed.

On return home I had occasion to see the local medical lady. Rather full of myself, I told her I'd overcome pneumonia without any medication. I showed her the x-ray. She told me, "If we x-rayed every case of 'flu' they'd all have pneumonia." I was gently lowered by a sharply witty lady.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The site has just run out of steam.
We have no more stories to tell.
The gallery postings have become boring.
We need a new injection of seafarers, the trouble is that there are no “new” seafarers. When we left the sea it all just died.
Today’s seafarers do not have the adventures and fun that we enjoyed and remembered.
Hi Chris, I left the waves 58 years ago, I am now in Gisborne NZ, and when one looks out into the Bay ,5 ships (all Bulk Wood Carriers) they all look the same. Yes shipping is now pretty boring aye. I served from 1957 to 1962 and had a ball when I look back. mainly with the Union Steamship Coy, the first vessel was a tub called the 'Piri' 265 tones, with a rag, across the Tasman with a belly full of explosives , 5 shillings a day danger money, a lot of good that would have been aye. Yes there must still many stories to be told.
Cheers
Ewen

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
"I miss the quiz stuff and the ships needing identifying ... that seems to have all but disappeared....."

My quiz because unworkable when image source sites became available online.
One member in particular used this "option" ruthlessly when it first appeared but I continued for a few months as other members didn't.
I would use various paintshop techniques in order to try to defeat the source sites......but it became too time consuming .

I was aware that many members enjoyed "sparkles quiz" and was saddened that it was scuppered by one member using advanced technology........my admittedly terse ending of the quiz reflected this at the time........belated apologies.

In truth.....If he hadn't used it...... someone else would have eventually.

S2182

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Members no longer posting. Yes, I'm one of them I suppose, not that anyone would notice.
It is now around one year since I last logged on.
Reasons? It dawned on me that I was kidding myself that virtual mates are similar to people who one knows face to face. Members of any on-line forum who I have never met and will never meet. Folk who in the case of this site, unlike me, properly went to sea and know the life.
I am perhaps just a fraud and out of place. Happy to have a virtual chat and help out in any way I can, but not really part of it.
So, after my last cruise one year ago, which was likely my last ever cruise thanks to 'Management' having a different idea on her finances, I thought that I should keep clear of ships in a vain attempt to retain what is left of my sanity - Fat chance!

Thanks for listening, apologies for interrupting,

'Old Nobby-no-mates' - Mad landsman - Malcolm.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I wondered where you were, Malcolm. Virtual mates are worth having if we share interests - a visit here each day can be a rowdy experience or completely sober, but often enriching. In actual life, not much happens in our sleepy cul-de-sac except the exchange of surplus fruit and veg, and the helping out of folk even older than us. A visit here livens me up. I do miss posters when they are absent. Keep well and keep smiling through.

Amazing that our posts zoom into space and bounce back in a wink.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
For Laker Captain,(and others) keep writing your about your memories and experiences. When at sea and ashore in the marine industry we considered our lives normal and accepted the dangers of our profession, such as hurricanes, cyclones, anti cyclones, Malacca Straits pirates, collisions, onboard fires and many more incidences as normal fare of our profession. When talking to people who say 'What did you do?' and you tell them some of your experiences, without embellishment, they find it interesting, as one Banker said to me, 'I thought my job was interesting, now I realise it was boring' he was not alone in those comments throughout the years.

I was at a small welding shop in our village and got talking to the owner. He was interested in what I had done as he had never been anywhere. I gave him a copy of my stories and he was fascinated. Guess there are still people who think going to sea is like the adds ofr cruise ships!!!

61 - 80 of 260 Posts