Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use?

I've had the M&S, Harvard aftershave, and deodorant.
They're not at all expensive, and fine, for everyday use.

Older ones I still love Georgio Armani Black Code.
Boss in motion is nice too, has like an orangey smell to it.

All your average aftershave prices.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Why is perfume used by men have to be called after-shave? Anyway, does it really work? Is there some statistics avaiable - ability to pull birds with and without? I remember an article in a sixties issue of Esquire illustrated with a picture of the men's perfume available then, the amount of different bottles and hairy names was enormous. And, according to the caption, far beyond the number available for females. But as I learned in making ads for an importer of such, the content was mostly the same, it was just necessary to have disappointed men believe they tried something new. And, PS., the price is mostly money spent on the bottle and the ads. ...No, just kidding you, the non-perfumed men are all ill-smelling social outcasts, all alone at home throughout the Weekends. :sweat:

·
Registered
352 Posts
St Johns Bay Rum made in the Virgin Islands. I used it in the US many years ago but, unfortunately, no distributor here in Oz.
After a heavy night on the town a shower and a shave in the morning, complete with a liberal splash-on of this magic potion, and you were ready to attack the bars again.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
All the Ladies I know prefer the manly smell of sweat and pungent body odour to any poncy, girly French perfume for men.
I have a bit of a wash every Friday whether I need it or not.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I use stuff in a bottle. Crimbo present. Bottle lasts about two years. They are taking over the bathroom shelf. They must be expensive,they have labels on.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I have a selection of bottles, some still in the boxes, all received as presents.
They stand on top of the cabinet in the en suite, dressed off in size order to look neat.
Once in a while I might take one down to check that it has not evaporated.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Such lotions and potions along with frou frou powder were strictly the preserve of the catering dept when I was at sea. I only became dimly aware of after shave when my mother in law bought me a bottle of Old Spice in 1970. It lasted me five years. Other bottles of Old Spice came along every Christmas until she passed away in 2002. Im on the last one now, and Old Spice remains the only after shave I have ever used. I have never bought it myself, and doubt if I ever will.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Eu de diesel or Eu de HFO.
Corvette, with a sailing ship as a label, must be from the 50/60's that.
Yes had a small plastic bottle of Old Spice for years.
The smell of Brut I couldn't stand.
Some of the stuff the youngsters use now smells very feminine, perhaps its a sign of the times

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Having narrowly avoided a punch from a drug crazed Bulgarian midget transvestite in the Snake Pit.......Union Street.......Plymouth......i am no longer able to sweat profusely which is extremely advantageous when watching penalty shoot¬outs.
Rather than wasting money on after shave..... I prefer to spend my cash eating the Mexican Chilli pizza special at my local pizzeria...... when my unheard of medical condition again comes in handy.

Must go now..... I have a fifty minute tv interview this evening with Emily Maitlis...... when I shall deny all of the above.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
In the 1950's the nearest most men got to perfume was a squirt of bay rum after a haircut . Then came Old Spice after shave but it was not available in NZ so my first trip on a banana boat to Apia Western Samoa saw me rush to Burns Philp South sea traders emporium for a bottle .
We were off to Aggie Grey's hotel restaurant for an evening meal so it was Shower, shave, don the groppie mocha , and liberally dash my face with the attractant fluid.
First in the bathroom , I left the Spice bottle on a ledge and without my knowledge the Second engineer and others had a dab before the bottle went up to the mates then down to the crew's mess via the third mate .
The whole ship stunk of the stuff and attracted scathing remarks from the Old Man about the dining saloon smelling like a Bombay Brothel.
I never owned another bottle .

Bob

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I have a small bottle of Eau Sauvage, given to me by my daughter about ten years ago.

For fifty minutes with Emily Maitlis, I might just apply a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sponge Bob mentions Bombay brothels which reminded me of when as an apprentice fitter working on the Wellington floating dock we were pulling a broken rudder or prop shaft on US Coast Guard icebreakers. We went up to wash up in the crews mess. With the Yanks living onboard, some messes smelt like the aftermatch of a Bombay brothel and the ones that were getting leave that night were like alcoholic perfumed gardens with talc powdered dance floors

1 - 20 of 94 Posts