Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Martyn - yes I remember you, which Andy played in the rugby team? I have a photo taken from phase 1 or 3 and will post it if can get some names together. The Nav lecturer was John ..... he kept a day sailor at the college and did relief Master jobs for Everards in the summer holidays. Last time I heard he had bought a boatyard on the suffolk coast.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Martyn - yes I remember you, which Andy played in the rugby team? I have a photo taken from phase 1 or 3 and will post it if can get some names together. The Nav lecturer was John ..... he kept a day sailor at the college and did relief Master jobs for Everards in the summer holidays. Last time I heard he had bought a boatyard on the suffolk coast.
John Haigh - last I heard he was crook with throat cancer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dear Jeraylin;
you posted "John Haigh - last I heard he was crook with..."
perhaps you could refrain from posting news of people who are in late life with over specific details...? friends and relatives also view these pages, could be upsetting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dear Jeraylin;
perhaps you could refrain from posting news of people who are in late life with over specific details...? friends and relatives also view these pages, could be upsetting.
Sorry mate - I did not post that - please check your facts.
(Cloud)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dear Jeraylin;
I Think you need to complain to "Duncan 112" who is a Senior Member.(K)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,
I was on what I believe was the first ONC course kicking off in September 1970. We had 2 weeks pre-sea training on HMS Worcester, then away with our companies for our first trip, back at HMS Worcester for 18 weeks in 1971, then back to Merchant Navy College Tower Hill for our final 18 weeks in 1973.
Happy times, I remember Capt Argles, I remember an instructor getting us all to strip off and swim bollock naked so we could snuggle up in the Life raft and learn how warm it was! (We were of course naive schoolboys who hadn't been to sea) But lots of good fun, the escape committee used to take us to The Cherry Tree at Dartford or the Cavendish, or was it Clarendon at Gravesend?
Failing that I spent a fair bit of time in The Pier and the Brown Bear.
Names I recall are Dave Griffiths (Hain-Nourse), Keith Miller and 'Taff' Uren from BP, Paul Moorhouse and Bob Hooley from Holder Bros, Alan Lybird (LOF) 'Hutch' from Trident Tankers, and many more who's names escape, after all it's 45 years ago!
:)
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just read your thread. Nice to be remembered! I am Ted Uren. Yes I remembered those days on the Worcester. I also have had a long career in the MN. I have recently retired back to South Wales. A few years ago I bumped into Gordon Amos. He was the salvage Master on relocating a wreck in the Dover Strait, and I was representing the company who hired their company. We remembered those days on the Worcester! Despite the "Worcester" I am pleased to have had a long and successful career.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ted,
I have this image of you, on the jetty waiting for the boat crew to take us back onboard one night, drinking from a bottle of beer, whilst simultaneously having a piss, you came out with the imortal words 'In one end out the other!'.
Gordon Amos comes to mind, was he a fair haired lad from Ipswich?
I think I bumped into him in the Florida Bar in Rio one night, and that was the start of another piss up!
:)
Dave

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was on the Worcester 1972 with a few people I can recall. Chris Bailey, Simon Ayshford, Paul Adams, Paul Whitehead. The Pier Hotel at that time was quite some place with its long connections with Everards, and the traditional coasting folk. I seem to remember the Cherry Tree in Dartford was often frequented by local Nurses....hence our interest.
Tower Hill and digs down in Poplar (Mariners Hotel) came later, I worked for LOF until they collapsed and continued working at sea in the offshore industry until 2005 when I had to give up, rather unexpected due to bad health.
Brilliant days with escapades that you could simple never get away with today.

Nick

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was a boy in the Worcester at the end of 1957 washing up for 5 miserable months but I got through, it stood me in good stead throughout my life discipline wise ,I did a few of voyages in the catering I swapped over to deck as soon as the chance came when I was a boy in the old Asia peeling spuds out and back across the north Atlantic during the winter that tends to focus a young man,s mind on the fact that there must be something better I could be doing , there was no room in the galley for me to sit and peel spuds so the cook found me a nice spot just outside the galley lee side of course then I had to bash on the galley door when I was done I hate to brag but I reckon I was the fastest spud basher this side of of anywhere it,s cold , I spoke to the Bosun who in turn spoke to the mate next voyage I was back as deck boy oh how my chest swelled out at last I was a sailor mind you I had to get passed the the sink in the seamans mess but I was on my way I can well remember assisting an EDH leaving Montreal we had to pull a wire from a tug inboard hand over hand my gloves where a pair of old socks as soon as the wire started to come aboard I had to dump the soaking wet socks, would anyone remember the supply officer Mr David Love who I have often thought of over the years a man who helped me start my life in the merchant navy a decent man who gave a boy a chance and for that I am forever grateful for 12 years of mostly wonderful times and experiences I was there when it was cold and miserable but I reckon that,s the best time to learn being cold and miserable we tend not to forget the things we are being taught best regards to all hands Dave .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've posted a picture of the Greenhithe Rugby team in 1979 or '81 in the gallery. Any help with names would be much appreciated.
I think it's Andy Holdsworth next to the Captain and John Briffa next to him. The guy in the middle at the back with the broad smile is Sean Harvey and the one with the beard at the back is Jim (Chapman?). I recognise a lot of the others but can't put names to faces.

Could it possibly be the 1977 team as I was there in 1979 and played as did Richard Carlton, Paddy Shrimpton, Dick Weston, Mark Whittaker and Taff Walters - none of whom are in that photo.

Andy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Andy,
It has to be either '79 or '81, as those were the my 'Phase 2' and '4' years. I remember playing with Paddy (played his early rugby at Redcar?), but haven't a clue why he wouldn't be in the 'photo.
Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
MNC Greenhithe website

Reading all these comments makes me think I must have met some of you at college 1980-83, I was on the R/O course and from 2000 have tried to keep a website for the college going. It has been a bit hit and miss but it is running now at https://greenhithe.org.uk and you are welcome to get in touch to correct errors, get your name added, or just chew the fat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did my first offshore safety and survival course there around 84 with
the fire fighting at Gravesend. I was at Denton Pier a couple of weeks ago which reminded me but couldn't work out where the fire fighting took place?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts