Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
I have mentioned about the board of trade notice before, If the chief steward tried to give you short rations you could demand to have your rations weighed out , this was called your pound and pint.Terry

· Registered
427 Posts
JOHNKITTO said:
As a Bank line apprentice, we "Enjoyed" Board of Trade fare E.g. one egg a day with two on Sunday. A favourite I remember was "Camel Egg" which was a piece of bread with the centre cut out and an egg fried in it. It was delicious with lashings of H.P. Sauce.
One thing I never came to terms with was Chips for breakfast.

I had been at sea 7 days, whilst sailing through the Red Sea the Steward was serving potatoes and I noticed a bead of sweat run down hid face onto his chin and into the Potatoes. From thereon it was either ignore such things or starve. Anyway 40 years later I am still here.
If my memory serves me well , it was one egg a week in my day according to BOT rules we didn't always get one though, Tell

· Registered
427 Posts
Derek Roger said:
What time frame are you talking about Tell ?? I think in the 60s it was 4 eggs per week . Chief steward used to say that included eggs for baking ???
Most companies did better than the BOT minimum .
Derek
er 1948 and later, one ship I was in didn't have a freezer, just an Ice box so when the ice run out we were on curried everything, we could only do 6 knots so we were at sea for very long stretches, was on her for 2 yrs. Tell

· Registered
427 Posts
Polarum said:
The other day, I overheard a programme on the BBC discussing cookery books for Christmas and they mentioned a book that was originally written for Chinese and foreign ships’ cooks on the Blue Funnel Line by the late Patience Gray. For those who hanker after ship's grub, it might be an ideal present this Christmas.

I was never on a bad feeder whilst on British ships, but often heard companies prefaced by the word 'hungry' - 'hungry hains' in particular.
Were these companies that bad?
I was on one tramp steamer that had an ice box and a mean chief steward after a fortnight at sea we ate some wierd and wonderful concoctions, after the ice ran out it was nearly always currie, and breakfast was rice cakes and devilled kidney, the only fresh meat we got was weavils in the bread, consider yourselves lucky guys, we never even got the statuary one egg a week. Tell, bye the way we were at sea for six weeks or more at a stretch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts