Ships Nostalgia banner
701 - 710 of 710 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Merchant Navy Fare

I also sailed with Standard Vacuum on Stanvac Canberra.For three months the food was out of this world & I had come from first class fare in P&O.It was really unbelievable,grills to order & the fridge at night was full of the most unusual & tasty selections.We changed skippers & the catering was still more than reasonable but no where near the previous standard.Wonder where
the savings went? We had two free beers on a Sunday but had to buy our own at each port.Would guess someone got a commission.Stocking up on Schlitz in Beaumot was a disaster.It was terrible booze. Kiwi
We ran out of beer on the eastern seaboard of US and stocked up with Schlitz. The phrase for the rest of the trip if someone annoyed you was “don’t gimme the Schlitz”

· Registered
281 Posts
We used to get catering sized tinned meat, of uncertain origin, left out in the pantry fridge at night. It was christened “tinned elephant’s foot” we threw it overboard every night for months but never ran out of it.
On the other hand we had a baker who baked the best crispy dinner rolls I’ve ever had. On a cruise I always have a crispy roll with my soup and I’m always disappointed.
Pitcrew.

· Registered
1 Posts
Having eaten in some fancy places all over the world,I swear I have never
enjoyed a meal like that. Ch,cook said the lads needed something to soak up the lunchtime beers.
The point of this rigamole is; seeing some of the food which is dished out nowadays in restaurants, I don't think we fared so badly.

· Registered
198 Posts
in my ignorance I thought most cargo/tramp/tankers had leaving the UK take on Ministry of Food registered meat under a government food officiAL, AND FOR A minimum period of 6 months. I may be dreaming, However I thought according to the ministry og shipping and the agreements one signed on a british ship, the meat vitals had to be a ministry or equivalent standard, Hence most of the met could be mutton or hogget- That aussie stuff straight from the outback??

701 - 710 of 710 Posts