Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember ,the BBC Overseas Service broadcast "Merchant Navy Programme", a show for seafarers presented by Malcolm Billings….and the lady with the sexy voice that used to do the requests, we used to tune in every week to see if you got a request, never did though

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone remember ,the BBC Overseas Service broadcast "Merchant Navy Programme", a show for seafarers presented by Malcolm Billings….and the lady with the sexy voice that used to do the requests, we used to tune in every week to see if you got a request, never did though
Never mind Malcolm Billings what about Trevor Blore?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I remember Trevor Blore as yet another journalist reporting on things he knew little about. I used to wonder whether the West Country accent was real or assumed. It sounded put on.

He once reported finding a young deck boy who already knew his ropework. Trevor found the lad putting in a backsplice. In my book thet's a lazy man's whipping.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
We only made one request from a Moss Tanker MV Lustrous . It was for Capt Bill Lucky ( Lucky Bill ; 3 times in the water during the war ; rose from deck hand to Captain ) It was his last trip before retirement ; Sparks put in the request and it was playd with a bit of Bills background given before the song " Bridge over troubled water )
When it was aired and played the poor man was overcome with emotion and joy .
He left his last command in Dakkar West Africa with all the officers and Indian crew lining the deck and shore below the gangway ; an emotional moment for all and a fine respect of one of the most repected seamen I ever had the pleasure to sail with .

Derek

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The actress Doris Hare was one of the early presenters, she was pictured on the cover of the February 1946 edition of the Seabreezes magazine, in relation to the program.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Was it Ann Nightingale that had the sexy voice on the Merchant Navy programme, it certainly sounded sexy at 0200 hrs in the Pacific.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts