Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken in King George V Dock in Glasgow in 1971 with a brand new MERKARA fresh from Swan Hunter/s yard loading for her maiden voyage.
Can/t remember the other ships' names,unfortunately,a Safmarine and Blue Funnel with another arriving headed by Clyde Shipping tug FLYING DIPPER.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
A great class of ship when they were new! I was third mate in Merkara (1974)
and second mate in her sistership Manora. The other two of the class were
Morvada and Mulbera, they were renamed Strathmeikle, Strathmay, Strathmore and Strathmuir (I think!). When they were sold(I think the Mexicans bought one or two and the Thais bought one or two) they were in poor shape and didnt care for the North Pacific in winter too much.

regards
Dave MacVicker

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was one of 8 first trip deck cadets that sailed on her as strathmeigle in 1979 for 6 months , cannot remember any names now but we did have an instruction officer who was there with his wife and son .
Joined in Karachi , sailed to NZ and back to the gulf region twice, payed off in Bahrain if I recall correctly .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was one of 8 first trip deck cadets that sailed on her as strathmeigle in 1979 for 6 months , cannot remember any names now but we did have an instruction officer who was there with his wife and son .
Joined in Karachi , sailed to NZ and back to the gulf region twice, payed off in Bahrain if I recall correctly .
I was Junior Engineer on Strathmeigle at that time. The instruction officer was Peter Hillman.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anybody on the 'M's bump into a lad called "Biffo" (Cliff Chorley"?
Geoff.
I sailed with Cliff over 50 years ago now (together with a mate of his Dave Vaughan). We were all on the Dumra, probably in 1971 & I visited him in Taunton when his mother was still alive (a lovely lady). He left for the Aussie/Gulf run and I went to the Japan/Gulf run and we never bumped into each other again, although I did see Dave whilst on holiday in Spain. Love to hear what happened to him & where he is now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Kevin,
The first time I met Cliff was, I think, when he relived me on the Chilka in Calcutta in July '71. I flew to Karachi to join the Nowshera on the Japan/Gulf run. We met up again on the Strathardle , I think in '73, '74. I got married to a Japanese lass who worked for the agents in Kobe. I then joined the Strathcarron for 2 years. When we got home, we bought a house in Westonzoyland (a lovely Somerset name) and used to meet up with Cliff, his wife Rose and his daughter at the pub on a Sunday in Taunton. He got a job as hospital engineer at Taunton hospital. He then went to Oz. He was in Freemantle for years, but then a few years ago moved to Tasmania. We used to keep in touch with Xmas cards, but we didn't get one last year. I think Rose passed away a couple of years ago. You'll have to forgive me if the time line is a bit off as I'm sure the kids will be persuading the Missus to shuffle me off to a "nice" quiet place soon.
Do you remember if we ever bumped in to each other? I was on the Nowshera, Nyanza and Nardana (with a short spell on the Rajula) in '71, '72. I was then on the 'Ardle '73, '74. Then it was the 'Conon '75, '76. Then it was the 'Carron '76, '78. I then had a couple of Wild boats and then left.
Geoff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Kevin,
The first time I met Cliff was, I think, when he relived me on the Chilka in Calcutta in July '71. I flew to Karachi to join the Nowshera on the Japan/Gulf run. We met up again on the Strathardle , I think in '73, '74. I got married to a Japanese lass who worked for the agents in Kobe. I then joined the Strathcarron for 2 years. When we got home, we bought a house in Westonzoyland (a lovely Somerset name) and used to meet up with Cliff, his wife Rose and his daughter at the pub on a Sunday in Taunton. He got a job as hospital engineer at Taunton hospital. He then went to Oz. He was in Freemantle for years, but then a few years ago moved to Tasmania. We used to keep in touch with Xmas cards, but we didn't get one last year. I think Rose passed away a couple of years ago. You'll have to forgive me if the time line is a bit off as I'm sure the kids will be persuading the Missus to shuffle me off to a "nice" quiet place soon.
Do you remember if we ever bumped in to each other? I was on the Nowshera, Nyanza and Nardana (with a short spell on the Rajula) in '71, '72. I was then on the 'Ardle '73, '74. Then it was the 'Conon '75, '76. Then it was the 'Carron '76, '78. I then had a couple of Wild boats and then left.
Geoff.
Thanks Geoff for the update.....I didn't even know that Cliff was in Australia but I suspected as much. We really got on well and he was always the funniest lad in the bar. He could quote full sketches of Benny Hill and often had us all in stitches...plus that, he was a good engineer & a cracking shipmate. I recollect Dave Vaughan say something that he might have settled in Oz.
I was on the Dumra or Dwarka with Cliff (I did both) and the Cninkoa & Amra on the Japan/Gulf runs....over 3 years later, I had some leave!! which is probably when I went down to Taunton. I was mostly on the NZ/UK run after that, Mataura, Westmorland, Tekoa and then of course the dreaded UK/Gulf runs on S'Naver,Teviot,Loyal,Angus,Dyce and the Strath E's before spending 5 years on the Bulk ships Meynell, Pollenger, Irfon Aurora and 4 trips on the Jedforest doing US/Japan/Oz trips. After the fall of P&O, I did a spell on Maersk ships supplying supplies to troops in the Falklands.
Obviously we never bumped into each other during our times, but we must know a million fellow shipmates. I spent a lot of my time when I was 2nd on the Bulkies with a Ch.Eng that you may remember from your days on the "N's" , that being Colin Young (a steam queen converted to a Motor man).
Both of my daughters and their families live in NZ and my son and his family live in Singapore.
Covid has caused a bit of a quiet period.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Geoff for the update.....I didn't even know that Cliff was in Australia but I suspected as much. We really got on well and he was always the funniest lad in the bar. He could quote full sketches of Benny Hill and often had us all in stitches...plus that, he was a good engineer & a cracking shipmate. I recollect Dave Vaughan say something that he might have settled in Oz.
I was on the Dumra or Dwarka with Cliff (I did both) and the Cninkoa & Amra on the Japan/Gulf runs....over 3 years later, I had some leave!! which is probably when I went down to Taunton. I was mostly on the NZ/UK run after that, Mataura, Westmorland, Tekoa and then of course the dreaded UK/Gulf runs on S'Naver,Teviot,Loyal,Angus,Dyce and the Strath E's before spending 5 years on the Bulk ships Meynell, Pollenger, Irfon Aurora and 4 trips on the Jedforest doing US/Japan/Oz trips. After the fall of P&O, I did a spell on Maersk ships supplying supplies to troops in the Falklands.
Obviously we never bumped into each other during our times, but we must know a million fellow shipmates. I spent a lot of my time when I was 2nd on the Bulkies with a Ch.Eng that you may remember from your days on the "N's" , that being Colin Young (a steam queen converted to a Motor man).
Both of my daughters and their families live in NZ and my son and his family live in Singapore.
Covid has caused a bit of a quiet period.
Hi Kevin,
I see you were with Maersk taking supplies to the Falklands. Why couldn't a British shipping line have done that? Oh I forgot, we haven't got one. Used to enjoy meeting up with Maersk ships on the Japan/Gulf run so that we could "exchange films". Even if it meant we had to drop the lifeboat.
My ex brother-in-law was on one of the RFA's during the war. I think I can call it a war, but somewhere I think I saw it was called a "conflict" so as not to upset the losers. I was working in Rugby when he came in to Marchwood I think. I went down to meet him. I met up with my sister down there. I had quit a nice visit and poured myself off the ship in late afternoon. He took me down aft (I think) where they had a nice little piece of machinery. A twin barrelled ant-aircraft gun that they had "acquired" from the Argies. It was self contained with it's own petrol generator. It had ptfe coated bullets and a computer system so hat when you put in the speed and distance of the 'plane and put the sights on it, the gun automatically positioned the barrels the correct distance in front of the 'plane. If you Google Capt. Philip Hanton you'll get him up. He was on the Diligence apparently. Probably retired now.
England vs France is on the tele now so am closing down and getting a cold tinnie out of the fridge.
Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't remember the ship I was on, probably the 'Carron in Dubai. We saw one of the M's coming in and found out it was double berthing with us. Well of course, we lined up waiting and at the earliest possible jumped over and headed for the bar. Great hospitality. However we were a bit cheesed off when we found out that the lads on the M were paying the same for a big cans of Aussie beer as we were for the small cans of Japanese beer.:mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts