Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Floating crane photographed in Glasgow in November 1987 when she arrived to position the span of a swing bridge across the Clyde between the former Stobcross and Plantation Quays in connection with the Garden Festival to be held the following year in the former Princes Dock.
The bridge is still extant and known as Bell/s Bridge having been sponsored by the whisky firm.It regularly opened for WAVERLEY but now that she has moved downriver of it will not be required so much now to operate.
Tug is Clyde Shipping/s FLYING FULMAR.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
anyone know the details of the original Mammoth? I believe it was Russian built and taken over after the first ww Tell

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hi Tell,

I thought you might like to see a picture of the original Mammoth. She was just called that, no Mersey prefix. She was not self propelled and had to be towed everywhere she went. The funnels you see were for the boilers which supplied the steam used to drive the crane mechanism.

I heard that she was taken as a ' spoil of war ' from Germany at the end of the 1st World War. I have not been able to find out anything else about her at all. Must be slipping, as I normally manage to find out something.

Anyway hope you like the picture.

Santos.

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
The biggie

You are correct on where she came from Santos
I was told she was just built in 1913/ 17 for Bremen or hamburg.
And taken over as war prize.
I have a feeling thats she was built in britain and may be cammel lairds ?????
But never arrived in Germany
Is she still on the go ???

Ron

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hi Ron,

No she is not still going and was scrapped sometime in the eighties I believe, the present Mersey Mammoth dates from 1986.

Santos.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Santos thanks for the pic, I have known the mammoth for many years, i do believe she had some form of self propulsion but was not powerful enough to navigate outside the docks, did you ever hear of a chap diving off the top of her in the Gladstone dock sometime in the 40s? Tell

·
Banned
21 Posts
No Tell, I never heard of that happening. I did not know of the self propulsion as I only ever saw her being towed everywhere. I am trying to find out more about her and will let you know if I succede.

Santos.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Mammoth

Hi Tell,

I have just found out the following info on the original Mammoth :-

Mammoth Built 1920 A.F. Smulders, Shieldam, Holland.

I must dig further as I was told that she was taken as a spoil of World War 1, it must have been World War 2, I will dig deeper. Its got me going now to find the full facts.

Santos.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would be very grateful for your help Santos, btw did you know I was one of the driftwood gang in L'pool docks before the water witch came on the scene

·
Banned
21 Posts
Mammoth

Hi Tell,

What a job you had, dirty and very hard I bet, I saw the muck that was in the docks and it wasnt a pretty sight, I take my hat off to you, you did a very valuable job.

I have further found out that Mammoth was 1542 Gross tonnage and, wait for it, twin screw, I apologise for the duff info I passed re it being non-self propelled. I need to clarify some more info I have found out, which states her movements were powered by ' electric motors ' , which movements, props or crane ?, I will try and find out.

Also she does not appear in Lloyds List as part of Mersey Docks and Harbour Board until after the end of World War 2, so she must have been taken as a spoil of war then.

Santos.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I still think Russia had a part in her history, maybe she was built for there and they defaulted on payment and mdhb took it over

·
Banned
21 Posts
I have just found out the following with reference to the original Mammoth floating crane belonging to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.

She was built by A.F. Smulders, Schiedam, Holland, originally for the Russian Tsarist Government but the 1917 revolution caused the sale to fail and she was sold to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board and arrived in Liverpool on 17th September 1920. ( your thoughts were correct Tell )

Her Jib was 197 feet long and her hull 154 feet long. The crane was operated by electricity which was generated by two on board triple expansion steam engines.

During WW2 she was damaged three times by air raids, the third one on 12/13th March 1941 sinking her at her berth in the West Float Birkenhead. It was said that Winston Churchill himself ordered her immediate salvage as her work was vital to keeping the port of Liverpool open and working towards the war effort. It took 17 months before she was back in service as the crane jib had to be dismantled and then reassembled. Working plans of her had been destroyed in an air raid which made her salvage and repair more complicated.

She was sold to Sweden in 1986, leaving Liverpool in August of that year on board a barge which was towed to Oxelosund by the tug Fairplay IX. She was used by Sweden until 1998 when she was scrapped.

She was replaced by the current Mersey Mammoth.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Mammoth.

Hi, Tell, Santos.
Mammoth could lift 200 tons, and rotate 360 degrees with load, and carry load on deck. In still water, such as docks she could self propel at 5 to 6 knots.
Have you seen this site:- www.merseysideviews.com
plenty pics. Sold and renamed Baltic Mammoth.

Pic , Placing 150 ton foot bridges to New Brighton Landing Stage.

Barney.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hi Barney,

Thanks for the link, I did know about but it could be of use to others as well.

I saw a lot of the Mammoth and was on a ship in Liverpool when she lifted a bridge onto our foredeck for delivery to Djbouti. I also saw her replace one of the New Brighton Ferry bridges which had been displaced by a storm in the 1950s.

Chris.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mammoth

Hi, Tell, Santos.
Mammoth could lift 200 tons, and rotate 360 degrees with load, and carry load on deck. In still water, such as docks she could self propel at 5 to 6 knots.
Have you seen this site:- www.merseysideviews.com
plenty pics. Sold and renamed Baltic Mammoth.

Pic , Placing 150 ton foot bridges to New Brighton Landing Stage.

Barney.

I'm a new member here. I'm finding it VERY difficult to understand how this site works! (lol). I'm floundering somewhat here. I'm very interested in ships and maritime affairs generally, but most particularly in the Irish sea and the river Mersey. I would like to give an update of the old Mammoth floating crane! I'm in the process of building a model of her! I started it about four years ago, but was about to abandon it through lack of information as to her structure. I was working from photographs - I have hundreds of them - but they did not give me the information I needed. I've needed the PLANS! I have at last tracked them down! ...... through a couple of friends. One of these friends lives in Stockholm, Sweden. The Mammoth is there, now, (renamed Baltic Mammoth). She has NOT been scrapped! In fact she has many years of working life ahead of her! She moved from Oxelosund to Stockholm and is now owned by A B CONTRACTOR. She has been fitted out with new propulsion engines, and facilities for diving opperations! She has a whole new set of plans, but the present owners wanted to find a good home for all the 'old' ones; they were taking up space on board! Cutting a long story short, through my friend living in Stockholm, I now have ALL the oringinal plans here in my workshop!!!!! I can't believe it. When I have sorted out all the information from them for my (hopefully) fully operational working scale model they will be donated to the Liverpool Maritime Museum.(==D)

·
Banned
21 Posts
Thats great news Eyebrush, she is still around, I am delighted. Its also nice to hear she has a future too. I got the info of her scrapping from a local magazine, I am very glad to know they were wrong.I will inform them of her present whereabouts and that she still has a future.

Thank you for your info on Mammouth and for sharing it with us and good luck with your model, perhaps when you finish it you could post a photo of it on this site, I for one would like to see it.

Chris. (Thumb)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts