Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just a *****
369 Posts
Methane Princess, O/N 305971, was built in 1964 by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow, scrapped in 1996.
She had a sister ship on the same run, Methane Progress O/N 305945, built in 1964 by Harland and Wolff at Belfast, scrapped in 1986.
It must have been boring for the crew as these ships only ever went from Arzew in Algeria to Canvey Island.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boring is not the word (Cloud) - I suffered on the Progress as a Fiver in the early 70s for , thankfully, only a couple of months. Interesting though in so much as it gave me valuable insight into the principals of boil-off combustion which was useful when I got posted to the G Class later in my career

·
Just a *****
369 Posts
No, both built for Shell in 1964, chartered to British Gas to carry LNG from Arzew, Algeria to Canvey Island,

Methane Princess by Vickers Armstrong Shipbuilders, Barrow, No. 1071.
Methane Progress by Harland & Wolff Ltd. Belfast, No.1653

·
Just a *****
369 Posts
The Stevenson, Clarke connection was the Methane Pioneer.
Originally built 1945 by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Duluth MN, USA.as the Marline Hitch, Hull No. 344, Type C1-M-AV1, completed Jul-45.

Sold 1946 for conversion to a L.N.G Tanker, Operated, and (I think) owned, by British Gas, renamed “Methane Pioneer”. She took a total of 8 cargoes of LNG from Lake Charles, Louisiana, to Canvey Island, in the Thames, the last being in March 1960.

Sold 1960 converted to L.P.G. Storage, Owned & operated by Stephenson, Clarke & Co., renamed “Aristotle”. Located in Recife, Brazil.

Scrapped 1972, location unknown

·
Registered
37 Posts
methane princess/progress

Fairfield said:
The pioneer methane gas tanker built for service between Canvey Island and Arzew laid up in the Fal in 1991.She had enjoyed a period of reactivation prior to this but was nearing the breakers.
I have seen both these ships and they look magnificent especially together.
They spent many years laid up in the fal estury

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Methane Prncess/Progress

Not true that these vessels only ran from Canvey Island to Arzew. I did a trip on one of them, late '70s/early '80s, overseeing operation of a new telex installation. We left from Canvey and went to Arzew but loaded for Barcelona. Instead of stepping off at Canvey and driving home in my car, I had to board a BA flight to Heathrow and get home by tube and train.

Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
The pioneer methane gas tanker built for service between Canvey Island and Arzew laid up in the Fal in 1991.She had enjoyed a period of reactivation prior to this but was nearing the breakers.
I joined her in late 1965 and she was gleaming. Although the trips could be quite brain numbing.
It's quite sad to see the picture of the both of them lying dormant.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm sure a pal of mine sailed 2/e on them, maybe c/e, Stewart Wood, wife Rosemary.

If memory serves, he said sailing empty was horrendous due to noise from tank insulation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I joined the "Methane Pioneer" at Canvey Island 4/10/1961 my first trip EDH she discharged and we all paid off after taking her to Cardiff for laying up 16/10/1961. At that time she was managed by Stephie Clarke . most of the deck crowd were,nt pleased as we had,nt been advised this being "a run job" however the Company did offer us alternative ships I was lucky and got a berth on the new coastal tanker "Maplehurst" just made ready at Blyth Shipyard so it was,nt that bad after all although it would have been an experience to have acctually done a working voyage in the Methane Pioneer

·
Registered
378 Posts
I joined the "Methane Pioneer" at Canvey Island 4/10/1961 my first trip EDH she discharged and we all paid off after taking her to Cardiff for laying up 16/10/1961. At that time she was managed by Stephie Clarke . most of the deck crowd were,nt pleased as we had,nt been advised this being "a run job" however the Company did offer us alternative ships I was lucky and got a berth on the new coastal tanker "Maplehurst" just made ready at Blyth Shipyard so it was,nt that bad after all although it would have been an experience to have acctually done a working voyage in the Methane Pioneer
sorry the dates should be 4/11/61 to 16/11/61

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, Oh to reminise. I was 3/0 on Princess in 1980. Does anyone remember the cricket matches on deck when we were in the Meddy? (this relieved the boardom!)Whole crew took part with home made balls (bolt/twine and tape). The skipper was a New Zealander and always routed along the South English coast to watch the telly. I will always remember that very early 'hi tech ARPA' with the reel to reel computer tape spewing all over the bridge. Happy days!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
METHANE PROGRESS b/u1988 Castellon.METHANE PRENCESS re-activated 10.1988 for eght cargoes on charter to British Gas laid-up again 5.1989.B/u Alang 9.3.1997.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts