Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MS Word has stopped working
It says "Winword.Exe is on the hard drive.
Don't understand this.
I have lost all my CC addresses.
Please advise .. someone!!

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Do you have a fully paid for and up to date copy of Windows Word?
If it is an annual subscription it will stop working when the sub needs renewing.
When installed the program is put on a virtual drive which users cannot access. It IS on the hard drive, but in something called a 'Q' partition.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen :
Please explain in more detail.
I tried Googling Windows world but got nothing but double glazing adverts.
For 365 I was directed to The Year,
I have been using MS Word for many years and parts of it still works but not the majority..
Please continue your advice
Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
George,
If your subscription has run out have a look at Libre Office. Its free and has everything MS office has.
Roger.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
George,
Do you know what version of Microsoft Office you have installed?
Was it on separate disc which you installed or did it come with the PC?

If it came with any fairly recent PC then it would be what is called 'MS Office 365' - so called because the licence lasts 365 days before it needs renewing.
Effectively Microsoft only rent you the applications, unlike in the past when you bought them outright.
If it is an older, paid for, version then it will show up in your program files and if you have the original disc you can even reinstall it.
As Roger says, you can get FREE Office, or word processing, applications which work just as well as Microsoft. Well worth considering.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gentlemen
As far as I know MS Word came with Win 10 which I had about a year ago.
The files I want are still in the computer somewhere as I can see them on a list.
But when I try to open them it seizes up. It is becoming very frustrating as every name and address I have ever had is eluding me.
I went to "Get MS Word Free" but it ended up asking me for £119

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Libreoffice downloadable here - https://www.libreoffice.org/
works just like MS Office but is completely free. The only thing to watch is that Do***ents are saved by default in Libreoffice's .odf but can be saved as any MS Word type from the save-as drop down menu.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Yeah MS Office is a subscription program now

In addition to Libreoffice- Open office is also extremely good and free

·
Registered
964 Posts
In the interim you may be able to open your do***ents with Windows "Wordpad" found in Windows Accesories.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I use LibreOffice and have done for some time. It is really very competent and simple to use.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Apache Open Office is also available
http://www.openoffice.org/uk/download/index.html

But, If you really want to use MS Office then an alternative is to buy an old copy on ebay or similar place and just install it on your computer. The old versions still work and still do the job, you just don't get updates, which is not that important for an application.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi, I had a similar problem a few weeks back where I could not open Microsoft Word or Office so I had Libre Office Writer put on and it woks great, very similar with slightly different fonts but almost identical.
Phil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gentlemen :
Please explain in more detail.
I tried Googling Windows world but got nothing but double glazing adverts.
For 365 I was directed to The Year,
I have been using MS Word for many years and parts of it still works but not the majority..
Please continue your advice
Regards
It is not Windows Word. It is Microsoft Word or MS Word you should Google. Try going into your File Explorer and open a previous Word Do***ent. If that opens, try to open a New do***ent. It works for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Libre Office and Apple Mac

Is Libre Office supported by OSX of Apple Mac?
Does it provide for non-Roman Script and also Right-to-Left?

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Is Libre Office supported by OSX of Apple Mac?
Does it provide for non-Roman Script and also Right-to-Left?
Yes, Mac OSX is supported, has been for some years now. You will find it in the App Store.
Same applies for Apache OpenOffice, in all OSX iterations.
On the Windows version of Libre various languages are available from install. It might be necessary to install a language pack on OSX, I just know that it is needed on Linux.
Hebrew right to left is available, cannot comment on how good, I've never needed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
George,
If your subscription has run out have a look at Libre Office. Its free and has everything MS office has.
Roger.
I second that. Besides LIBRE OFFICE read all WinWord do***ents. So all you have to do is google it and downlad the program. Very easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts