Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I photographed this Minesweeper moored on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay on the 21st August 2002, does anyone have any idea as to her identity/history?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not A Ton....

Hi Guys,

Sorry, but this one isn't a Ton class (Different funnel and hull shape). She is a former Canadian Bay Class minesweeper. 14 were built in the 1950s and were redesignated patrol vessels in 1972. Several were sold into private service but the only one that I can remember off the top of my head was the former HMCS Cowichan. Hope this helps,

Steve C

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Bay Class

Hi Steve
I am sure you are right and that she is a Bay Class. The Canadians still had six in service in the mid 90s, as training ships and patrol boats. I suspect that they were replaced by the new Kingston Class MCDV.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This thread was started a long time ago, but the minesweeper in question is ex-HMCS Chaleur PB/PFL 164. Sold out of the Navy in the mid-90's she has passed through a number of hands and is, I believe, up for sale again.

Edit: I see she is now on Ebay 09/05/2016

·
Registered
42 Posts
The ship was for sale via French Creek boat brokers (Now Pacific Boat Brokers) for several years It went for less than $100,000 US. The engines have stainless steel blocks and heads to deter magnetic mines.
For those that never owned a really big wood boat, proper maintenance is beyond all but the very rich. Most of these pass from dreamer to dreamer, never getting a haul out and eventually sinking at the dock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts