Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden Wonder, launched the iconic flavour in green packets in the early 1960s, (cheese and onion).

Of course the vinegar and cheese and onion bags changed places
I still get mixed up by the blue and green packets,never ever get it right
which flavour is in what packet.(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I just read the front because SWMBO doesn't allow me to eat 'her flavours'....but in the variety she favours cheese is green/vinegar blue.
geoff

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
We get all sorts of flavours, but Tomato Sauce and Hedgehog seem to have both gone. Marmite is still on the shelves, but why did none of the crisp manufacturers make HP Sauce flavour? I know a few people who would have enjoyed Salad Cream flavour 'cos they put it on their chips.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
I recall when first married to my Irish wife, we were doing the tourist bit in the foothills of the Commeragh mountains in Co. Waterford when we found a small shop miles from anywhere. We called in to see if we could buy anything for a lunchtime snack and this little old feller came out from the shop back with a look of surprise, probably because customers were few and far between. He didn't have much to sell that looked edible, but we bought a couple of cans of drinks and then my wife asked him "Do you have any crisps?"

"Ah sure I do. What would you like?"

"Well, what do you have?"

"Cheese and onion!"

As I have learned, when you live in rural Ireland as we now have done for many years, you can choose whatever flavour of crisps you like as long as it's cheese and onion. (K)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ahh the charm of the Irish. Art, not crisps, but when I first moved to Ireland in the 1980's I took my visiting mother in law to the local baker in my nearest town Naas. We selected an apple tart and the assistant tried to fit it in a paper bag, alas the bag was too small so she folded the tart in two and slipped it in, leaving my mother in law and I speechless but with a smile upon our face.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recall when first married to my Irish wife, we were doing the tourist bit in the foothills of the Commeragh mountains in Co. Waterford when we found a small shop miles from anywhere. We called in to see if we could buy anything for a lunchtime snack and this little old feller came out from the shop back with a look of surprise, probably because customers were few and far between. He didn't have much to sell that looked edible, but we bought a couple of cans of drinks and then my wife asked him "Do you have any crisps?"

"Cheese and onion!"

As I have learned, when you live in rural Ireland as we now have done for many years, you can choose whatever flavour of crisps you like as long as it's cheese and onion. (K)
yes, very true

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We get all sorts of flavours, but Tomato Sauce and Hedgehog seem to have both gone. Marmite is still on the shelves, but why did none of the crisp manufacturers make HP Sauce flavour? I know a few people who would have enjoyed Salad Cream flavour 'cos they put it on their chips.
dartskipper you and I shall go into business,we will make a (packet),OLD SPUD(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

"Cheese and onion!"

Got bag of Guinness flavoured crisps in the cupboard Art.

·
Premium Member
10,424 Posts
I missed those. I am sure I would have found them fine. What does amaze me is the freezer cabinet's marmite flavoured frozen Brussel sprouts. Even stranger I have a lunching friend who serves them in a marmite sauce. I will try them but without any expectations of them becoming another 'find'.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Did no one try Walkers Brussels sprouts flavour crisps at Christmas time?
They were disgusting!
I quite liked them, but then I do like sprouts!

Interesting that on the front of the packet there was a picture of Brussels Sprouts with a caption underneath stating that this was for illustration only and that the product did not contain any sprouts!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Was in Dublin and my wife & I walked ashore from the tanker berth.
Stopped a guy and asked directions to nearest shop to buy some chocolates. He gave precise directions for five minutes.
We thanked him and were about to set off.
Where are you going says he. They knocked it down six years ago.
True story.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was in Dublin and my wife & I walked ashore from the tanker berth.
Stopped a guy and asked directions to nearest shop to buy some chocolates. He gave precise directions for five minutes.
We thanked him and were about to set off.
Where are you going says he. They knocked it down six years ago.
True story.

(Jester)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I quite liked them, but then I do like sprouts!

Interesting that on the front of the packet there was a picture of Brussels Sprouts with a caption underneath stating that this was for illustration only and that the product did not contain any sprouts!
There are two factories in Wellingborough that manufacture artificial flavours. The aromas can be quite interesting, if puzzling. Many years ago I had to visit a small industrial unit in Daventry that produced highly concentrated aromas. In this form they were really obnoxious, like burning rubber. The few workers in there claimed that they couldn't smell anything! You have to wonder what chemicals we are consuming with our daily intake.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts