Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jim,
I believe JimS was right when he said that all merchant paddlers had a single shaft for both wheels. I got round this and remained authentic by building a model of one of the 'Director' Class paddle tugs which as Naval Grey Funnel line vessels were exempt. They were diesel-electric paddlers with independent, feathering wheels. The construction of the feathering system turned the air blue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Jim Mac,

As I said I have independent paddle control but also a working rudder on that model. However, I find that most of the time I don't bother with the rudder as, even in slightly over scale size, it isn't of great effect. Using single stick control of the wheels via a mixer (tank tracks system) could be interesting.

Could it be that Americans chill their beer to kill the taste?

Cheers
BarryM

·
Registered
118 Posts
Rocking the Boat

I believe that independent paddle operation could also give problems with stability if one wheel was Full Ahead while the other was Full Astern. Whatever, the 'Director's" all survived.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.