Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
To be authentic she should have only one shaft for both paddle wheels - this web site had a great discussion on this aspect for full size paddle vessels.
You might just start them off again. Perhaps American Rules were different but I think it was a Board of Trade requirement that UK passenger carrying paddle vessels had both paddle wheels driven by same shaft.

ps I have just posted pictures of Pacific Fortune and Pacific Unity in the Gallery that might assist in your quest to build a model of the former.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Jim MacIntyre said:
Hello Jim S
Thanks for the postings of the Pacific ships. I should have acknowledged your earlier postings (which were promptly transferred to 'my pictures'), apologies for that oversight.
Agree the Waverley does or did run with one shaft for both paddles and it is said that docking a some of the berths in the Clyde back in the 'Doon the Watter' days were rather scary as a result.
I'm hoping for feedback from modellers who have built and run side paddlers as to the tradeoff between installing one shaft (less time and machinery in building) and two half shafts (better control on the water)
I would be great to see updates from the previous discussion on paddles - I'm sure feathering came up once or twice.. Since starting my project on the Waverly I discovered had I retained the original scale from the plans (1/56 or 54) I could have ordered paddles from Graupner that would fit with some minor alterations. Now I have to find or make the paddles..that is another whole story..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre
There is a guy who runs a business called Waverley Models who has built a 13 feet long !! model of same (pictured on his website) I was looking to see if I still had a copy of a model magazine from some years ago that featured the building of working model of Waverley - must have dumped it cannot even remember the title of the magazine might have been "Model Boats" or "Marine Modelling"

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Jim MacIntyre said:
Yes Jim - I recall seeing something in Paddleducks - another website which is run in a forum very similar to this one.
I wasn't sure how to get around it so I opted not to join, but after my experience here I will take another look. I definitely recall a photo showing the man standing in the pond with a huge Waverley model floating beside him.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Yes that's the one !!

Jim S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.