Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent some time in the Model gallery - obviously a bunch of talent within the group... Noticed in particular two builders of side paddle wheelers - japottinger and ernest. I am presently building a 1/84 scale model of the P.S. 'Waverley' and I'm stuck with a decision on how to power the model.
Did you use one shaft for both paddles or two separate half shafts/motors/controls etc.?? Certainly the single shaft would be the easier solution but I'm wondering about steering - the scale rudder looks awfully small.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jim MacIntyre

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model paddlers

Hello Jim S
Thanks for the postings of the Pacific ships. I should have acknowledged your earlier postings (which were promptly transferred to 'my pictures'), apologies for that oversight.
Agree the Waverley does or did run with one shaft for both paddles and it is said that docking a some of the berths in the Clyde back in the 'Doon the Watter' days were rather scary as a result.
I'm hoping for feedback from modellers who have built and run side paddlers as to the tradeoff between installing one shaft (less time and machinery in building) and two half shafts (better control on the water)
I would be great to see updates from the previous discussion on paddles - I'm sure feathering came up once or twice.. Since starting my project on the Waverly I discovered had I retained the original scale from the plans (1/56 or 54) I could have ordered paddles from Graupner that would fit with some minor alterations. Now I have to find or make the paddles..that is another whole story..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
model paddlers

Yes Jim - I recall seeing something in Paddleducks - another website which is run in a forum very similar to this one.
I wasn't sure how to get around it so I opted not to join, but after my experience here I will take another look. I definitely recall a photo showing the man standing in the pond with a huge Waverley model floating beside him.
Cheers
Jim Mac

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paddlers

Hello Barry
Maybe I'll restart the project in 1/54 scale, then I can buy the tailor-made Graupner paddles which will fit that scale with some minor adjustment.
Not too worried about authenticity under the skin more concerned about control on the water - never ran a paddler before.
It may all turn out to be a moot point for a few months because with warmer weather here the 'honey-do' list had appeared on the fridge door (I can't get a beer without going to the fridge....we drink them cold here in the U.S...).
Cheers
Jim Mac

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi BarryM
I knew I shouldn't have opened that 'beer' door....
Mixers and tank tracks probably far beyond my capabilities, all my past work has been two channels - very basic, but in this case with a rudder area not much bigger than a postage stamp the paddle control would definitely be better.
quoting someone else in the group "I need a bigger Boat"
Cheers
Jim Mac

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paddlers

Hello Bunkerbarge
If you sit and think about it with the paddles coming in contact with the water out of synch it would produce a rocking effect. Would not have thought sufficient to capsize. Just out of curiosity do you know the name of the tug ? did it have feathering paddles ? my thought is would that have made a difference with their angle of entry into the water..

Jim MacIntyre

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.