Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
No I did not!
I well remember being at anchor off Cochin, now Kochi, for about 4 days trying to repair said FD Fan.
At least the big diesel (MAK of MAN) kept the lights on, nowhere near as troublesome as the Hedemorra Pielstick on the Denmark.

I've posted something similar on some other Website as I remember mentioning the ever patient Master, John Campbell, who had been on even more troublesome Texaco and Caltex ships.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No idea what a Shell L class is/was, the tanker I was on was the AMPTC Al Rafidain, probably had the worst boiler ignition system ever devised, with the steam FD you got about three attempts to relight before you ran out of steam and you were dead in the water until you got the half boiler down to half a glass and then tried to get a fire in that, usually many multiple attempts, no wonder people resorted to flaming torches.
The old brick lined boilers were a doddle to fire up by comparison flashing off the hot brickwork would be successful even after several minutes of loss of flame. Never seen a boiler gas side explosion on old manual boilers, fully automated boilers thats another story but not by my hand.
IanB

·
Registered
430 Posts
Stal Laval turbines with epicyclic gearboxes no thanks, fussy control system, false alarms, vibration trips while going astern. Best S/T engine and gearbox General Electric, perhaps not the most efficient but reliable and good control system. Best Boiler, Babcock Radiant miles ahead of the Foster Wheeler ESD 3.
Worst ever power plant Single Boiler+ Half with Single steam F.D. fan with no electric back up, nightmare ship, boiler tripped and it took 3 days to get underway again just as well it was in the middle of the ocean. I could go on for ages but nobody wants to listen.
IanB
Still think the Kawasaki plant on the Spanish class was the best, cant recall what the Jap class had but was definitely a close 2nd.....

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Ah, the Hokushin logger. But two proper boilers anyway. Do I remember there were remote pressure gauges for each outside the smokeroom?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ah, the Hokushin logger. But two proper boilers anyway. Do I remember there were remote pressure gauges for each outside the smokeroom?
ahhhhhhh the famous on duty panel...…. yip 2 good kettles, parallel steaming mode, simple change over panel up top in front of the firing platform.

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Yes please Ian more, more. Anything to stop E-S posting. Mind you I always read a couple of his before I go to sleep. Trouble is sometimes I drop off at the keyboard.

·
Spongebob
9,420 Posts
I read that Princess Cruises is building two new cruise liners to be fuelled with CNG.
How does this option fit in with the trends ?
It worked well with CNG versus petrol in motor cars from the maintenance angle but a bit more complicated in bigships

Bob

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Ribbing not knifing.
I agree whole heartedly, knifing has lost its usefulness now that it is a weekend pastime, gone very downmarket. Et tu, Brute?

But you and all our colleagues can rest assured I will not say anything to your face that I have not already said behind your back. And Isle of Man, him very nice place.

SN for eruditioness or is it erudition? SH for ribbing. Or is it vice-versa?

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Both for both is my vote. But perhaps more caution when there are from pram toy throwers involved. It was ever thus.

Not sure stabbing was even confined to those of senatorial rank (Sparafucile comes to mind).

"Let me have about me men who are fat, sleek headed, such as sleep o'nights. Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous".

I am no danger, on three counts although I do have a good appetite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aahh... Tough question.
Especially nowadays regarding the annex 6 of marpol..
I've been on 2t engines (MAN MC-c, Sulzer RTA, then tier II MAN ME-C, Wartsila RT-flex, then conventional steam lng carrier and now last few days DFDE, wartsila 9l50df).
Everybody saying steam is history dfde is future, maybe on paper but in real world crazy running costs of dfde, pilot diesel consumption electronics, propulsion failures, charter down time.. cannot be compare to proper newly built steam vessel, (Talking about sayaringo 100bar reheat vessels).
We have huge problems with dfde machinery and IGBT breakdowns, pilot system failures, turbochargers temperatures and so on.
Now 2t gas burning engines are coming online, seems that man have 300bar gas injection system, again you need power for multistage compressor which will deliver those 300bars. It seems that wartsila with xdf have the edge plus its tier III compatible while man needs scrubber (few million $ investment and again downtime..)...
We will see, there isnt 100% on any engine layout, maybe for 20year fix charter owner can choose proper propulsion system regarding of charger agreement (Gas burning or dual burning, length of voyage, speed, and so on)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Stal Laval turbines with epicyclic gearboxes no thanks, fussy control system, false alarms, vibration trips while going astern. Best S/T engine and gearbox General Electric, perhaps not the most efficient but reliable and good control system. Best Boiler, Babcock Radiant miles ahead of the Foster Wheeler ESD 3.
Worst ever power plant Single Boiler+ Half with Single steam F.D. fan with no electric back up, nightmare ship, boiler tripped and it took 3 days to get underway again just as well it was in the middle of the ocean. I could go on for ages but nobody wants to listen.
IanB
Early ACT container ships didn't have an electo-feed pump so only way with low steam to get water into the boiler was to de- pressure and pump up with the drains tank pumps. This also could prove exciting for the economiser and the superheater when flashing from cold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep! not enough steam ships had electro feed pumps, filling the drum to the top of the glass and a bit more, flashing on diesel because there is no steam to heat fuel oil, and then the exciting bit of changing over to F.O. once you got some steam and then trying to get the turbo feed pump away before the water falls out the bottom of the glass or you have to de-pressureise and start the whole process again.
The 1 and a half boiler job was worse, under normal steaming the half boiler was shut down and the water/steam side circulated with water from the feed system to prevent corrosion, so to get the half boiler it had to be drained down to half a glass this took hours. Smart lads had done this before and fitted a compressed air connection to a steam vent and used air to speed up the process, still a horrible long time to get up and running again.(Cloud)
Jock

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
I recall (as if I knew about what I am talking) on Stonehaven the baby boiler was normally used as a steam/steam generator.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Varely, did you know Gordon Webb on the Stonehaven? He was a pharmicist and may have been working as the medical man.

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
GA Mary, That does not ring a bell, I'm afraid. She was previously Hopepark but Stonehaven (the only incarnation I knew) she was Chinese crew with British officers. If I remember correctly the second mate did any patching up. Renamed to ply the trade between PG and Eilat with the Shah's oil her subsequent existence was laid-up Trincomalee and then scrap.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts