Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Texaco Denmark had a Stal Laval AP turbine and an epicyclic gearbox which were trouble free but the boilers, a Combustion Engineering V2M8 and V2M9 were very highly strung and required constant cajoling to perform. The rotary air heater was inclined to go on fire, wee fires as we were all concerned about being toasted and kept constant watch on the air side/gas side temperatures.
The above may be a bit superficial but I was the lowly Engine Cadet and a bit overawed by it all.
The C2M9 leaked that much you used to see the on coming shift appear out of the smoke having got out of the lift.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Serang, my 1st trip on the Norway the F.D flat was "interesting" in terms of what we now know as emission releases ! As a matter of interest was the "scoop" used when slow steaming, "Says Les" would not use it !

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
A scoop for slow steaming? Normally used for main condenser cooling when full away surely.

(Edit. Misread FD reference, apologies. Good blackout prospect when Main Circ cuts in on falling flow through scoop).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Think on the Norway when Yogi was the chief we had the scoop in operation at 63 rpm, also the sea temp did play a part in its effectiveness. Just wondered are scoops still in use these days ?

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Can't answer that, I cannot even, to my shame, remember if either of 'my' two NITC steamers had scoops in the first place (Yogi was 2/E-JC/E on Denmark, my first trip as junior R/O '71)..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Most of the latest drillships use Wartsila or Man engines here is a photo of one of the engine rooms on the Seadrill West Gemini. It has six Man /SRX engines total power 48,000KW , with 11KV generators and six Rolls Royce thrusters.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts