Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says all. She was before my time, a little. Always fancied I have missed an experience or two.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jimmy Gannon, a 3rd I sailed with was on her and If I remember correctly, said it was a bad experience, lots of Scavenge fires and hard work..

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
As Varley has posted this on SH as well I will use same reply!

"This vessel was my biggest headache in the days as Ship Scheduling Controller with BISCOre/BSC.
We all knew the Gas Turbine concept could have been a good one, on her it wasn't.....first met her,as an agent on the Tees, and she had problems then, cannot remember who Master was at time but one of the 'old brigade'....possibly Alf Cromarty.
She was,of course, one of the Port Talbot sized fleet so small upriver ports, Ayresome Wharf Middlesbrough,Workington ,Barrow or Dagenham were often used. Fords got to point of refusing her as being so unreliable as to upset their furnace routine...she was reported, I seem to remember, passing Dover Pilots four of five times in one day!
One of the HQ accountants worked out that the best thing to use her for was long voyages(!) so we sent her to Vittoria,which in effect meant we didn't have to worry about her,other than fuelwise, for nearly two months!"

geoff

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In early leaves I used to drink with Cecil Kennaugh just retired Chief Super of the IoM Steam Packet (and the amazing sidecar driving Mabel, both sea swimming daily into their eighties). When I joined the office it was in the closing year of Eddie Bruce's reign in a similar capacity for DSM.

Suffice it to say that their memories of one another when Morar was lying disabled in Laxey bay did not entirely coincide. "Denholms seemed to think we had an entire free drydock facility in Fort Street". Another drinking friend whose name I can no longer remember (lived in Laxey) had been Master of Rembrandt.

I'll post the same on SH and return favour.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ah , the Morar , never actually sailed on her but visited many times at the
Santa portablo laybys. Passed her once on the Clarkeden just off Cape Wrath
on our way up to Murmansk. She had gone past the Cape two times already that day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A friend of mine sailed on her as junior engineer. He said that it was such a workhouse for engineers that they got a 50 pound bonus if they stayed with it for 6 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts