Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I came across this photograph from Real Photographs Co. Ltd. and is, what I believe, of the RMS Olympic. I've tried finding more info on the company or what has become of it but I'm not finding much to go off of. When purchased, I was told that this photograph was from 1911.

Just looking for more information if anyone has any. Thank-you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Olympic white star liner, sister of the Titanic: threads abound on this site just look, for white star cunard-Olympic, Britannic, titanic. And the section on breakers yard.You may have to cobble together what you personally are looking for? Good luck.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Bit of digging on an aircraft site produced this...

The 'Real Photographs' story. Stanley J. Rhodes. 179-93.
Ellison Hawks was the advertising manager for Meccano Ltd and the editor of the Meccano Magazine. He formed the Real Photographs Co in Liverpool to supply prints. Rhodes, started to take photographs in the 1930s and supplied prints directly to enthusiasts and via Real Photographs. R.P. News started in July 1941, but the supply of railway photogarphs had to cease during WW2. Post WW2 Rhodes and Hawkes set up in business with the former establishing reproduction facilities in Broadstairs, and then in Ramsgate. The sales and supplies were handled from Southport. It had been hoped to enter into an agreement with Ian Allan to supply prints from the Locomotive Publsihing Co, but the deal failed, and much of the material was damaged. Real Photographs took over the Whitworth Collection (Will Whitworth, Manchester dentist), the H. Gordon Tidey Collection and the Croughton Collection. The phtographic equipment, collections of aircraft and ship photographs, and the eventual transfer of the business to Ian Allan, and the negatives to the NRM, are also detailed. Illustrations: E850 Lord Nelson climbing Grosvenor bank with boat train in 1927 (F.R. Hebron); 1163 on down Liverpool express passing Kenton with some stock still in LNWR livery (F.R. Hebron); LMS 2-4-0 (ex-MR) 219 on Harrogate to Bradford local at Manningham in 1927; CR 179 class 17909 at Balornock shed in September 1935; last day on Brill branch (30 November 1935), with Stanley Rhodes and H.C. Casserley in picture; Wirrall Railway 4-4-4T No. 14 outside Birkenhead in 1923 (W.H. Whitworth); NSR 4-4-0 No. 170 piloting Claughton 1159 Ralph Brocklebank leaving Crewe in 1924 (WHW); LNER 2512 Silver Fox at Newcastle in 1936 (WHW); CR 943 leaving Carlisle with down freight (H. Gordon Tidey); GNR 0-6-2T 1561 in green livery at Palmers Green with Cuffley train c1921 (HGT); G2 0-8-0 climbing away from Oxenholme with freight in 1925 (HGT); LMS (ex-CR) 4-4-0s 14458 and 14505 with an up Aberdeen express passing Luncarty in c1926 with Pullman and stock in CR livery; ex-FR 4-6-4T 11101 on down Euston to Whitehaven train leaving Carnforth in c1926 (HGT); R class 4-4-0 No. 202 on Newcastle to Leeds express with some vans still in pre-group livery; John Gardner and Stanley Rhodes in 1976 (portraits); Nottingham Victoria (pp. 190-1) - see (64) page 294 for letter by J. Rhodes; X3 2-2-4T No. 190 (lettered LNER) with Directors' Saloon c1932 photograph also shows LMS class 2P 4-4-0. (HGT); Stanley station on 26 June 1937 (H.R. Norman).

The article is in British Railway Journal issue 62 - which appears available at about £4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Olympic white star liner, sister of the Titanic: threads abound on this site just look, for white star cunard-Olympic, Britannic, titanic. And the section on breakers yard.You may have to cobble together what you personally are looking for? Good luck.
Thanks for your response, appreciate it. Was just looking to see if I could date the image by researching the Real Photographs Co. Ltd. company. I think I have my answer, thank-you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit of digging on an aircraft site produced this...

The 'Real Photographs' story. Stanley J. Rhodes. 179-93.
Ellison Hawks was the advertising manager for Meccano Ltd and the editor of the Meccano Magazine. He formed the Real Photographs Co in Liverpool to supply prints. Rhodes, started to take photographs in the 1930s and supplied prints directly to enthusiasts and via Real Photographs. R.P. News started in July 1941, but the supply of railway photogarphs had to cease during WW2. Post WW2 Rhodes and Hawkes set up in business with the former establishing reproduction facilities in Broadstairs, and then in Ramsgate. The sales and supplies were handled from Southport. It had been hoped to enter into an agreement with Ian Allan to supply prints from the Locomotive Publsihing Co, but the deal failed, and much of the material was damaged. Real Photographs took over the Whitworth Collection (Will Whitworth, Manchester dentist), the H. Gordon Tidey Collection and the Croughton Collection. The phtographic equipment, collections of aircraft and ship photographs, and the eventual transfer of the business to Ian Allan, and the negatives to the NRM, are also detailed. Illustrations: E850 Lord Nelson climbing Grosvenor bank with boat train in 1927 (F.R. Hebron); 1163 on down Liverpool express passing Kenton with some stock still in LNWR livery (F.R. Hebron); LMS 2-4-0 (ex-MR) 219 on Harrogate to Bradford local at Manningham in 1927; CR 179 class 17909 at Balornock shed in September 1935; last day on Brill branch (30 November 1935), with Stanley Rhodes and H.C. Casserley in picture; Wirrall Railway 4-4-4T No. 14 outside Birkenhead in 1923 (W.H. Whitworth); NSR 4-4-0 No. 170 piloting Claughton 1159 Ralph Brocklebank leaving Crewe in 1924 (WHW); LNER 2512 Silver Fox at Newcastle in 1936 (WHW); CR 943 leaving Carlisle with down freight (H. Gordon Tidey); GNR 0-6-2T 1561 in green livery at Palmers Green with Cuffley train c1921 (HGT); G2 0-8-0 climbing away from Oxenholme with freight in 1925 (HGT); LMS (ex-CR) 4-4-0s 14458 and 14505 with an up Aberdeen express passing Luncarty in c1926 with Pullman and stock in CR livery; ex-FR 4-6-4T 11101 on down Euston to Whitehaven train leaving Carnforth in c1926 (HGT); R class 4-4-0 No. 202 on Newcastle to Leeds express with some vans still in pre-group livery; John Gardner and Stanley Rhodes in 1976 (portraits); Nottingham Victoria (pp. 190-1) - see (64) page 294 for letter by J. Rhodes; X3 2-2-4T No. 190 (lettered LNER) with Directors' Saloon c1932 photograph also shows LMS class 2P 4-4-0. (HGT); Stanley station on 26 June 1937 (H.R. Norman).

The article is in British Railway Journal issue 62 - which appears available at about £4
Thank-you so much for your response! It's helpful in trying to date the image!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts