Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an returning to radio after a long hiatus. Unfortunately I gave away my morse key (yes I know it is sacrilegious) so needing a key I looked online thinking - "How expensive can an old key be?"....$$$$$$ Oh no very $$$$$!!!! So I made one with parts from my local hardware store!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well done. It's quite interesting on the amateur bands, at least in the UK. The requirement to pass a 12 wpm morse test to access the HF bands was removed in the early 2000s. Since then, Morse has become more popular - go figure! Also, there's a whole bunch of manufacturers making new Morse keys which are mechanical works of art with prices to match.
Happy days,
gwzm

·
Registered
27 Posts
the apprentices on the British Duchess had the old GPO morse key from the radio room when a later type of key was fitted,it cost me several beers to persuade them to part with it and I still have it along with a Marconi Electra, memories of sea going days

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well done. It's quite interesting on the amateur bands, at least in the UK. The requirement to pass a 12 wpm morse test to access the HF bands was removed in the early 2000s. Since then, Morse has become more popular - go figure! Also, there's a whole bunch of manufacturers making new Morse keys which are mechanical works of art with prices to match.
Happy days,
gwzm
GM OM
Just finished your "You'll wonder". You write extremely well. Brought back many memories, especially of my days in the 70's in the Kidderpore docks and those times in the radio room pre-satcom days. I miss Morse. Have my old Morse key, planning to build a small oscillator and teach Morse to my 5 year grand daughter and 3 year old grand son. Can't allow Morse go extinct.
Adil Boomla

1 - 4 of 4 Posts