Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello R798780

I had my 21st Birthday onboard the MV Luxor on the 26th of January 1966 so I know for definite it was in Calcutta. I was a junior Engineer at the time. It was a great Ship to be on.

Unfortunately my life at sea was short but never forgotten.

Semaj.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Luxor was my first ship 23/2/61 to 3/8/61. Always remember the Master was Bill Luckey and as far as I can rmember we did a couple of trips to the Meddy and a couple to Venezuela, and possibly one to the Gulf. Not too sure now (Mists of Time!!).
My next trip was on the Old Lumen, built around 1950, and it was terrible, but that is another story.......................pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
pete said:
Luxor was my first ship 23/2/61 to 3/8/61. Always remember the Master was Bill Luckey and as far as I can rmember we did a couple of trips to the Meddy and a couple to Venezuela, and possibly one to the Gulf. Not too sure now (Mists of Time!!).
My next trip was on the Old Lumen, built around 1950, and it was terrible, but that is another story.......................pete
You were lucky pete it must have been nearly new when you were on it.

(Thumb)

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Capt Bill Lucky

I never did sail on the Luxor ( My brother Cameron did however )
I sailed with Luckey Bill a couple of times ; as 2 nd Eng and as Chief Eng . He was a great Guy ! Twice in the water during the war ! He was also a very good table tennis player. On his last trip he had few who would be able to take a game . Also was a great Crib Player and would get really pissed off when playing doubles if you dropped the wrong card . I sailed with him on the Lumen as 2nd Eng in 1972 and his last trip on the Lusterous in 1974 . He left the ship in west africa , We gave him a mersham pipe and had the mechant navy programme play him a record and good wishes " Bridge Over Troubled Waters ."
My other "Buddy " in Moss Tankers was Jackie Waters from Sunderland but thats another story !
Bill Lucky was known as " Lucky Bill "" and as such was well named . He was a good Skipper who had come up the Hawse Pipe "
His leaving the vessel was quite emotional with all the Officers and Crew standing bye the gangway and clapping .

Derek Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sailed in Moss tankers from 1956 to 1964 down the coal hole,well remember the skippers mentioned, but also some classic Chief engineers E. H. Richardson,C.L. Martin, and J. Mcardel.

D. Yeoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
M.V Luxor

Semaj said:
Hello R798780

I had my 21st Birthday onboard the MV Luxor on the 26th of January 1966 so I know for definite it was in Calcutta. I was a junior Engineer at the time. It was a great Ship to be on.

Unfortunately my life at sea was short but never forgotten.

Semaj.
You must have lost a bit of weight on her,I sailed on her for 2 to 3 years between 1961 and 1969 like you down the coal hole.

Regards D. Yeo

·
Registered
10 Posts
M.V Luxor & M.V Lumen

pete said:

Sailed on the Luxor four times and the Lumen 1959 to 1960, down the coal hole.

Regards D. Yeo

·
Registered
186 Posts
D YEO said:
Sailed on the Luxor four times and the Lumen 1959 to 1960, down the coal hole.

Regards D. Yeo
I loved that engine room, the workshop being my favourite.

Least favourite place, Spanner Boiler.

:) Regards Semaj

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was 2/0 on the Luxor from 10th April 74 to 21st July, Bandar Mashar to Japan and back... First (and only) Tanker I was ever on. The only ship that I was ever on that the approved entry / exit point from the Bar (Aft accomodation, starboard side) was through a forrrad scuttle... One had to climb up outside to get to it. There was an inboard door into the accomodation, but it's use was frowned upon.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I sailed on the old Lustrous about Oct.'64 from the Tyne (Brighams) to the Gulf,Kobe then left her in Yokohama to the care of Esso who renamed her Esso Macquarie.Memory fails me as to who was on her,mainly North East lads I think,most of us brought home the famous TEA SETS,among other things!!!

Galley Boy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Derek Roger said:
Semaj ' The workshop was the only cool place !! What are you telling us >??????
Derek
The the whole ship was cool to me, but that little machine shop was my favourite place, after an Indian Crew Ship it was good to get it to my own.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Marcus Cardew said:
I was 2/0 on the Luxor from 10th April 74 to 21st July, Bandar Mashar to Japan and back... First (and only) Tanker I was ever on. The only ship that I was ever on that the approved entry / exit point from the Bar (Aft accomodation, starboard side) was through a forrrad scuttle... One had to climb up outside to get to it. There was an inboard door into the accomodation, but it's use was frowned upon.....
I remember paying a fee to be a life time member of that bar and many a happy time I had in it.

(Thumb)

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Lucigen bar

Anyone remember the Luigens Bar ? In 1966 we gave it a" make over " It was the Chief Engineers project although I was seconded to do a " lot of the work "
Chief was Ian May . Made the bar front from some old whiskey barrels which we cut in half ( vertically ) and braced together . I spent most of my time making the footrail which was a piece of aluminum bronze heating coil pipe from one of the tanks ( been removed ; during repairs in drydock in Liverpool )
It polished up nicely and the bar looked really good . We did not have much time to use the bar however as the ship was a workhouse for the engineers !! We had a lot of breakdowns early in the trip ( after drydock !!)
We took 26 days from Panama to Oakinawa due to stoppages ; probabley one of the longest pacific crossings since the demise of sail !!

Derek

·
Registered
249 Posts
Derek,

I propped up your bar on the Lucy on many an occasion, but didn't know
until now who built it!
I sailed on her on the Ras to Jas run in 72 with Jacky Waters and I think Dave Wolfenden as masters.
malcolm

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was hunting through the loft yesterday and found an old negative in bad condition and although the colours are a bit off when scanned it brought back old memories of the MV Luxor. The Main Steam line can be seen on the Starboard Side. The Date of this Picture was 1965.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts