Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Brock's R/O on the Luxor

I did two great trips on the Luxor. I was actually the first Brock's R/O to sail on the Lucigen which I joined in Cammel Lairds in July 1965. In my opinion Lucigen was nothing like as good a ship as Luxor but I had a lot more trouble with the equipment on Lucigen and we didn't go anywhere decent either so that might have something to do with it.

I joined Luxor in October 1966 in Falmouth and we went all over the place on a 9 month trip before paying off unusually enough in Falmouth again. On my second trip a big group of us flew out to Bahrain on a chartered Dan Air Comet that had to make 3 attempts to take off from Nicosia after refuelling. This was probably the best trip I ever did for good ports as we went to the Far East several times, down to Australia, 2 weeks on the NZ coast and then up to Hong Kong for a fantastic but eye wateringly expensive 5 week dry docking in Hong Kong. We flew home on a chartered Britannia prop plane of some description and it took us over 24 hours with about 3 stops, that was a long haul. I couldn't afford to buy my Mum a present at the end of that so after an 8 month trip after I had been at home for one week I requested another ship because I was completely broke. Happy but broke though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like I just missed you Tony, I looked at my record book and I discharged at Falmouth on the 2nd of October 1966. You must have joined it then. So far I am the only one to post a picture taken at the time on this site so if you have any please do so.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Jim, yes we did just miss each other. I think she spent a few days in dry dock in Falmouth after the end of your trip and we joined her whilst she was anchored in the roads. Most people had travelled overnight from various parts of the country and almost everyone ended up on the same train from Paddington to Truro. I joined the train from my home in Exeter at something like 04.00 and had 2 alarm clocks and a call from BT booked so I didn't sleep through. It was easy to find all the rest because virtually all the train was trying to sleep except 3 compartments of jolly jacks on the beers. I must say I wimped out at 04.00 but they had been on it all night. When we got to Truro we were coached to a hotel in Falmouth for breakfast and then out to Luxor by launch or tug. Spent the day storing and various other things and Hughie Mason the Old Man refused to sail because he said everyone was too tired. This resulted in a big fall out with Head Office that I was party to from a communcations perspective. The bottom line was that he said it was his ship and he was not prepared to sail across the Channel to Ushant with tired officers.

I am currently looking for all sorts of Brocks and Moss Tanker slides and I know I have some of Luxor. One box has gone adrift and by sods law we can be sure that the good Luxor ones will be amongst them. Watch this space.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tony

I had a great night out with the old Man Hughie Mason in the Deal Hotel Port Elizabeth South Africa. He was one of the best Captains I ever met.
I remember the night well as when the newsreels were shown it was the first time we had seen the Mini Skirt in London.
I wish you luck with the pictures, as I am afraid my daughter has lost most of mine.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Luxor images

Jim, I have at least found a couple of images of Luxor but I know there are still some more somewhere. One is taken from the top of the radar mast and obviously gives a good aerial view of the after deck. The one in a touch of rough weather reminds me of the number of times you had to leg it from the midships accommodation to get to the saloon on the portside aft. Getting to the shelter on the flying bridge was no great problem but it was substantially further to get to the end of the flying bridge, turn right and then left to get to the portside door. This was a matter of considerable timing and depending on the speed of the roll you may or may not make it however quick you were. I have had a good few meals in that saloon completely soaked.

I can only definitely remember one person in the shot playing carrom. Roger Newton is the 2nd mate on the left. I knew Roger very well as he lived near me and left the sea to take over the family pub at Sidford in Devon. Opposite him is the 3rd mate who I think is Dave Tracey (?). The other two are engineers who I regret to say I can't remember the names of at this distance. I think the 4th is facing the camera and I think the guy taking the shot was called Dennis.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Moss Tanker's Captains

All the Old Men I sailed with on Moss Tankers were good blokes in entirely different ways. The first on Lucigen was John Murray and on Luxor I sailed with Hughie Mason, Bill Luckey and Jackie Waters. All were from the North East and generally very easy to sail with and were fair people. Having sailed with considerably older Captains in Brock's I found John Murray young initially but he was a good OM who had some very interesting stories of his time in whaling ships. The C/O was young on there too a chap called Ken Edwards who I got on very well with. Mason and Luckey were Captains of the old school and knew everything there was to know about tankers and the sea. Jackie Waters was very friendly to me and quite often came to the Radio Room for long chats, he struck me as being a bit lonely and wanted someone to talk to. He had the knack of providing uncannily accurate eta's that were quite often at variance with those being provided by the 2nd mate and Jackie was ususally right.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Luxor accommodation

Jim, I have just re-looked at your photo of Luxor looking forward to the midships section. The R'O's accommodation on there was just abaft the bridge on the starboard side. Looking at your photo the air conditioning room was in the aft starboard corner of the bridge deck, ie my cabin was between it and the bridge. The effect of this was that Luxor had the coldest cabin I ever sailed in. On my first trip it was so cold I used to turn the a/c off in my cabin and got a bollocking from the 2nd Eng because this tended to ice up the a/c unit and everyone else midships complained about poor a/c. I soon learned that I had to keep my blowers on all the time to make my cabin icy and everyone else was really comfortable. The only solution was to open the ports every now and again to equalise the temperature.

Sailing with a freezing cold cabin was not something that the Red Sea Tiger trained Brock's man on ships with with punkah louvres gained much experience of. Lucigen's a/c was useless when I was on her as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Tony, I hope you put them into your Gallery, as it is one way to raise comments. The first time I joined the Luxor was in Aden at the height of the riots, machine guns & grenades going off all night. I missed my agent, as there was a 500 yards exclusion zone round the airport. Unfortunately for me one taxi driver was allowed within this and not seeing my agent I instructed him to take me to a hotel. This was downtown and being quite rare in that area my agent found me the next day. However he said as I was quite at ease where I was I could stay. Only later I found out I should have been in the Cliff Hotel well away from the troubles.

Jim.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Luxor

I'd just like to say how I enjoyed looking at the photies of Luxor. My brother sailed on her fromOct 68 - April 69. Did anyone else sail on her at this time. My brother was John Scully from Liverpool and he was 17 at the time he was on Luxor.
All the best to everyone.
Tracey.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Tracey, I left Luxor in Hong Kong in October 1968. I don't remember your brother's name so my guess is that he might well have flown out to join Luxor on the same crew change plane that we returned on (mentioned above) if you see what I mean.

I hope I can find more photos of Luxor, I know I took them it is just a simple matter of finding them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Luxor

Hi Tony,
Could well have been that you missed each other, shame that. I have a photie of John on Luxor, we called it his posing photie but I don't know how to send it to the forum!. A friend sent me a cracking photie of Luxor that he bought from V Young & L Sawyer. I'm not allowed to post it on the forum because of copyright but it's a good photie and only cost a fiver.
I was made up seeing the one of Luxor from the mast as I can see just where John was posing.
All the best everyone,
Tracey.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Luxor 1966

This was taken on my first trip on Luxor in 1966. I am fairly sure it was taken by 3/O Peter Steele when we were on the Brazilian coast for a couple of weeks. The open windows are the R/O's cabin and the steps up to the monkey island were quite well used as this was the best place on the ship to get some bronzieing done. As mentioned before my windows were regularly open even in the tropics to stop the a/c unit which was just to left of this picture freezing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Moss Tanker Luxor

Tony,

I've just realised I put in the wrong date in my last post. John sailed on Luxor from May 68, not Oct. He was on her until Apr 69. A long trip!.

All the best everyone,

Tracey.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Jeff:
Jim Purvis does ring a strong Bell !!! Ill have to get the grey matter working and see if I can put a face to the name and when >

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Talking of Luxor my brother Cameron sailed on her .
Later Luxor and Lumen were in Jedda at the same time (1972 )( I was 2nd on Lumen ) The Luxor lads came over for a few beers as although Jedda was supposed to be dry and was for most vessels ; Lumen was always able to keep the bar open ( probably as we were on the dolphins and not really tied up alongside )
The 2nd Engineer was one of them who when he found Cameron was my brother told me he was a good engineer but he ( the 2nd ) had limited Cameron not to put a spanner on anthing less than 5/8 inch as he had a habit of shearing them off !!!!!!!
Not suprising as Cameron competed in the World Senior Games in Newcasle a few years back and came 8th in the Hammer !
On one of the Ras to Jazz ( Rastanura to Jeddah ) trips I dont recollect which ? the guards who were on board to make sure there was no drinking always joined us when we had a movie in the bar . We would offer them drinks ( being carefull never to offer Coke which I understand is Jewish Owned )
This particular night we offerd them drinks Orange etc. They said no thanks we'll have some of your Tennants mineral water !!~! Poor beggers got thoroughy P1ssed and when their reliefs came it was mutually decided that they would stay the night on board to " Freshen up "

Oh Happy Days .

Brock ships entering Jedda always had the " Panni Jug " ( water thermos ) full of Gin ! Also we had some extra bottles full of gin in chiefs office with the Chemicals ( boiler water treatment ) . They were marked Suphuic Acid etc .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Moss tankers

Hi everyone,

Me again I'm afraid!

I was right first time with dates of my brother's time on Luxor, it was Oct 68 not May 68. I've been getting his trip on Harpalycus mixed up with Luxor trip!
All I can say in my defence is I'm Blonde!!!!

All the best to everyone,

Tracey.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi All, This is a picture of John Scully on board Luxor in '68. Tracey Scully asked me to post this on the Crew thread to see if anyone had sailed with him, with no success. Since we're on the Luxor maybe here would be a better place to ask......Anyone remember this bloke??

Attachments

21 - 40 of 57 Posts