Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Moss Tankers

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting the message on the Moss Tanker thread and including the photo of John.
Maybe someone will remember him, he was a Scouser, over 6' tall, good looking, a hard worker and a good friend to his mates. I know the photo was taken a long time ago (1968) but if anyone has any photo's of their time on Luxor in 68 I'd appreciate seeing them.
Thanks again Richard,

Kind regards everyone,

Tracey.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Tracey, I am almost certain I sailed with your brother as I vaguely recognise him from the photo. My only concern is the dates because despite the confusion in your postings if he joined in October 1968 that was as I was leaving but his face is familiar. I recall his hair being a bit darker than it looks in the photo so it is possible that I have got the wrong man or my memory is kidding me

I have the vaguest recollection of your brother being amongst a group of us being a bit the worse for wear going back to the ship in Lyttelton after a night in Christchurch New Zealand. We were on a launch so the ship must have been anchored in the bay I presume. I did not know him well but I do vaguely recall him.

Infuriatingly I still cannot find the photos I mentioned earlier after another thorough search of the loft. I know they exist as there are several others I want to post on here as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Moss Tankers

Hi Tony,

I have to say it is wonderful to find someone who has even a vague recollection of John as I've been searching for years to find someone who might have known him.
The photo could have been taken towards the end of the trip and so John would have been quite Blonde by then. Usually he had sandy coloured hair but always came home from sea tanned and very fair.
It could well have been John who was one of the worse for wear in your group, I remember some tales he told, some of these tales would curl your hair our mum said.
If you ever find the photo's you mention I hope you will post them on the forum, I'd love to see them.
At last a response Richard and it's all because you posted the photo which I was having so much trouble posting. I can't tell you how wonderful it is.
Thank you for the reply Tony.

Kind regards,

Tracey.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tony,

I know that Tracey would really appreciate finding anyone who might have known her brother, so here's another couple of snaps of him.

The photo's of John were taken on Bibby's Devonshire in 1983, John was 32 at the time. Tracey is particularly looking for one of his shipmates called Freddie Brown. John joined the ship in June '83.

Hope this helps to jog your or anyone else's mind...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ray

If You Want To See The World Join A Moss Tanker I Did 5 Months ON the Luxor From April 65 As A D/b I Only Left Because She Was Going Out For A Long Trip .& I Would Not Have Got My Upgrade To Jos The Princely Sum Of 10 Bob A Week

·
Registered
186 Posts
there are a couple of fotos of the luxor on the site &they are both different i can't remember a set of ladders going up from catwalk aft & the after end was all covered in this is a mutch older ship.
To be honest rd002c1155;90523 all the pictures I have seen have been recognised by myself as the Luxor. Can you point to the ones you mean.

Jim.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Moss's Tankers

Greetings all

My Dad, Jack Hutchinson, aka Hutch, was with Moss's as Chief Officer for quite some time in the 50s and 60s. I remember visiting his ships on the Tyne, Smiths and Middle Docks and of course Howden Tank Cleaning, as a boy and meting Bill Lucky.

Other names I recall are a Third Engineer (I Think) Scott Wall, and another engineer, Fourth I think, Mr Christmas who took me, at the tender age of around 12, into the Mill Dam Public house and filled me with Camerons Strongarm (I think it was half a pint). Since then things have gone downhill.

Aye

Pat Thompson

·
Registered
812 Posts
Luxor 65

If You Want To See The World Join A Moss Tanker I Did 5 Months ON the Luxor From April 65 As A D/b I Only Left Because She Was Going Out For A Long Trip .& I Would Not Have Got My Upgrade To Jos The Princely Sum Of 10 Bob A Week
Hi
I joined the LUXOR in March 65 in Barry sailed for Marseille,Ceuta, Casablanca, Cagliari back to UK Milford Haven, Finart down to Nigeria, Bonny and back to Liverpool.
Cheers AJ(==D)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sailed in Moss tankers from 1956 to 1964 down the coal hole,well remember the skippers mentioned, but also some classic Chief engineers E. H. Richardson,C.L. Martin, and J. Mcardel.

D. Yeoe
Hi Denis, hope you are well. Isailed with you on the Lustrous 1958 as leccy.Sorry to learn you didn,t mention me among your classics( ha hah). you obviously put some time in with Moss,s following the 58/59 trip and It seems the ship was sold shortly after. Bit of a surprise as she seemed a sound ship. Glad to say I didn,t experience food as bad subsequently at sea and gather you did not put much weight on either! Nice to see your name, regards, Lew

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was on the Luxor from Sept 69 - Feb 70. Joined in Bahrain, travelling to far east. Missed the ship after a night out in Hong Kong where we stayed for over a week before getting caught. The 3 guys I was with were sent back home dbs. I was flown to Singapore and reinstated, (VNC was cancelled). Put to sea 23/12 69 and a few weeks later the ship was returned to Singapore for a refit all crew discharged and flown home. with paying for air fare from HK to Singapore and accommodation bills while I was waiting to re-join that was one expensive party. Although the upside was the cancelation of the VNC and I ended up with Double VG's for both conduct and ability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does any one remember the deck officer on watch being stabbed in the kidney by thieves who came up the aft mooring rope, in Bankok.I believe he was repatriated ,we were told he would not go back to sea again. Digger Page the donkey/greaser paid off sick(heart) I got his watch4-8 .I think the 2nd eng.was called Griffiths

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Mike, the 2/O that was stabbed was Roger Newton. He was indeed repatriated but did go to sea again. He and I lived quite close together in Devon at the time and I was the R/O on the trip. He and I sailed together again in 1969 on Brock's Mahsud. He came ashore into his father's pub not long after that. He has recently retired from being a publican in Sidmouth. Good memory on the 2/E whose name is Vaughan Griffith whom I also see regularly. Vaughan left and joined Bibby's briefly before joining Mobil where he was a C/E and eventually became Operations Director.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Tony,sorry to be so tardy in thanking you for you reply, and the information. I often wondered what had happened to the mate.That was a trip I will always remember from joining her in the Gulf to paying off in H Kong,can you remember how long it took and where the stops were ? on the Brittania home. Mike

41 - 58 of 58 Posts