Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Here's an excellent lecture by the historian/author Anthony Beevor on the The Soviet Role in World War II. Well worth watching by those interested in history, discussing amongst other things Stalingrad and Stalin's 'leadership style'.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Looking forward to watching that. I would rate Antony Beevor as perhaps the most accurate writer regarding all the battles of WW2.
His account of the D Day Landings alone tells both sides of the story , the snafus by all forces, the blatant errors made by the US Navy with the shore softening bombardments and the ill feelings between the allied forces high Commanders list just one or two.
Perhaps as a late comer to this era's conflicts he has been able to glean a more accurate account from others earlier research .

Bob

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Antony Beevor is indeed a first class historian but beware, not all his books are equally enjoyable.

"Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943" is quite superb and recommended to all, plus "The Fall of Berlin 1945" which is also very good.

However... the one I wanted to be excellent, wasn't: "The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939" which was his first book and simply over crammed with names, dates, events, flicking backwards and forwards in time and from region to region without holding the narrative together. It is the only book I have started but never finished - it was his first book and he hadn't learned his trade which is a shame because I hoped he'd be able to guide me through the Spanish civil war as painlessly as possible.

Otherwise, a superb author.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts