Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounts bay is due to arrive Portland Q4 Berth about 10.40 tommorow (Friday)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Bob, she arrived at Portland today (Friday) at 1015. She is the biggest ship to ever berth at queens pier 4. Two tugs in attendance Wyke Castle and Sandsfoot Castle. Andy

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
RFA Mounts Bay

Hi,

Any ideas how long she will be alongside at Portland? I wouldnt mind getting a few pics of her.

Wigger.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What is the former Portland Naval Base used for now? Is Mounts Bay on a courtesy visit, or is the harbour still used by the RN?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
jbryce said:
What is the former Portland Naval Base used for now? Is Mounts Bay on a courtesy visit, or is the harbour still used by the RN?
Portland seems to be becoming quite a busy place! The Portland Port website (www.portland-port.co.uk) says that it has won a 5 year contract with (CINCFLEET) to provide 2 deep water berths for warships and Support ships. Each time I get down to Portland there has been at least 2 RN/RFA vessels alongside.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for that reply,
seems like they closed the place in haste as they don't seem to have sufficient berths in existing dockyards. It won't be a problem for long, if they continue to decimate the fleet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Portland Port Have big plans to redevelope the berths making them larger (Possible new Navy carrier berths perhaps?) RFA Do indeed have a 5 year contract, and commercial tankers of all sizes frequent the port for Bunkers and Hull inspections.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wigger said:
Hi,

Any ideas how long she will be alongside at Portland? I wouldnt mind getting a few pics of her.

Wigger.
Hi wigger,

Mounts Bay is due in Portsmouth on the 30th January, might be easier for pics.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heared today that RFA Mounts Bay will remain alongside in Portland until Mid February. I will keep you updated if you like wigger?!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Thanks Guys!

I am hoping to get down to Portland this weekend so I'll try and get some pics. When we used to live at Weymouth, on a busy weekend there might be 6 six ships berthed on Queens pier. Is Mounts Bay taking up more than one berth? Apart from some photos I've seen recently of a Leaf class Tanker on Q-pier I think the largest vessels I ever saw on there there were County class Destroyers.(going back a few years)!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wigger, Mounts bay takes up Q4 and half of Q2 (New Numbers than the MoD used to have.) If you have a good zoom on your camara, a good vantage point would be the Verne Prison tunnel, or the RN Cemetary. you could also get a good photo from castletown beach near the port entrance!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
STRAWBERRY said:
I have heared today that RFA Mounts Bay will remain alongside in Portland until Mid February. I will keep you updated if you like wigger?!
Your right, her arrival at Portsmouth is now showing as cancelled.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not just a pretty face Bob, I'm full of facts and other stuff (I'll leave it up to you to make the neccessary comments) When I get an actual date for her departure from Portland I'll let you know, but I doubt if anything is set in stone, not with a new build (well, you know how many defects new builds get before the owners are happy to accept them into service.) I recall, Sir Galahad had thousands (we nicked named her "Wallflower") Andy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Strawberry

When I saw the info on various ships in Portland, I had a wild guess that you might live somewhere near. Then being brilliant I checked your profile and discovered my wild guess was correct.
Thanks for your humour. I'm sure your wife is both pleased and sorry that you were a champion barbed wire hurdler, still she won't have to attend the Family Planning Clinic anymore.
Rgds Grifmar

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks grifmar for those encouraging words, yes, I do indeed live on Portland (Born and Bred, but don't hold that against me) My house overlooks Portland harbour, and Lyme bay (which is nice!) I have not told the wife yet about the accident....If I did, not only will the wife change the locks....my Daughter will dis-own me too, and I love my wife's Chicken and onion Casseroles! Cheers Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
She's in Pompey at the moment. I join her for my 4 month stint in Portland early April.

Green Shutters anyone?! (*)) (Pint)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts