Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This surfaced on another thread regarding Discharge Book numbers. It is very interesting:

Quote:
At the Port Dock Brewery Hotel in Port Adelaide, South Australia, there is on display the Seaman's Discharge Book of Kate Gold who was Stewardess in 2nd class and survived the sinking. There is a it of a story about Kate but unfortunately I can't remember it. I emailed the pub and Mr John Cowled, General Manager, confirmed that the Discharge Book is still there and it was issued as a replacement after the loss of the Titanic.

I checked on the crew list site mentioned on Treeve's reply and Kate is described as Mrs Kate Gold, age 22. It's interesting that she was married and I looked to see if there was a Mr Gold on board but he doesn't seem to have been there - lucky for him.

Not sure how or if Kate ended up in Australia - maybe it was just her discharge book that got here somehow. Obviously the sinking didn't put her off her seagoing career.

Hope this is of interest.

John T. (TrotterDotPom)
End of Quote.

Here is a link to Mrs. Gold's biography, thks to Titanica wiki:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/katherine-gold.html

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Thanks Dave, very interesting. I'd forgotten I'd already mentioned Kate in an earlier post.

The mystery of how the discharge book came to be in Australia is solved. Wonder why she bothered getting it if she never returned to sea. It would be interesting to know if there are any entries in it.

With a couple of other adventures under her belt, it looks like Kate might have been a bit of a Jonah!

John T

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave, very interesting. I'd forgotten I'd already mentioned Kate in an earlier post.

The mystery of how the discharge book came to be in Australia is solved. Wonder why she bothered getting it if she never returned to sea. It would be interesting to know if there are any entries in it.

With a couple of other adventures under her belt, it looks like Kate might have been a bit of a Jonah!

John T
My thoughts exactly, John!!! An interesting character! I wonder what her DB might reveal! Many thanks for the clue.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Interesting story , how and why did her discharge book get to and is still in the S.A pub, be interested to know
I thought about contacting the pub and asking if they'd mind copying the inside of the discharge book but it turns out that the pub is up for sale. Wonder if the book has been removed.

John T

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
I thought about contacting the pub and asking if they'd mind copying the inside of the discharge book but it turns out that the pub is up for sale. Wonder if the book has been removed.

John T

Buy the pub.

Put the discharge book up for auction and you will make a fortune!

I have one nice postcard, an original RMS TITANIC. I saw one at auction for £5,000.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This surfaced on another thread regarding Discharge Book numbers. It is very interesting:

Quote:
At the Port Dock Brewery Hotel in Port Adelaide, South Australia, there is on display the Seaman's Discharge Book of Kate Gold who was Stewardess in 2nd class and survived the sinking. There is a it of a story about Kate but unfortunately I can't remember it. I emailed the pub and Mr John Cowled, General Manager, confirmed that the Discharge Book is still there and it was issued as a replacement after the loss of the Titanic.

I checked on the crew list site mentioned on Treeve's reply and Kate is described as Mrs Kate Gold, age 22. It's interesting that she was married and I looked to see if there was a Mr Gold on board but he doesn't seem to have been there - lucky for him.

Not sure how or if Kate ended up in Australia - maybe it was just her discharge book that got here somehow. Obviously the sinking didn't put her off her seagoing career.

Hope this is of interest.

John T. (TrotterDotPom)
End of Quote.

Here is a link to Mrs. Gold's biography, thks to Titanica wiki:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/katherine-gold.html

Rgds.
Dave
If this DB was to go up for auction l am sure the Marine Museum of the Atlantic here in Halifax NS would be interested.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pleased that my post has put the "boys" onto the clues! Let me know any developments......
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I read of a nurse who survived the Titanic, was on the Brittanic when it was torpedoed and survived that. She was on the Olympic when it was involved in a collision. I might have transposed the last two.

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
I read of a nurse who survived the Titanic, was on the Brittanic when it was torpedoed and survived that. She was on the Olympic when it was involved in a collision. I might have transposed the last two.

The one that sailed in all three was Violet Jessop. Good book. Maxtone-Graham

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Buy the pub.

Put the discharge book up for auction and you will make a fortune!

I have one nice postcard, an original RMS TITANIC. I saw one at auction for £5,000.
Good idea Stephen, it seemed like a popular place the few times I visited it, unfortunately it's Lent at the moment and I've given up buying pubs. Another selling point, I don't normally go for pub breweries which turn out "home brew" in my opinion, but in this case, anything is better than the standard South Australian brews: West End and Southwark (aka as "green death).

John T

·
Registered
61 Posts
John T how dare you mention that word Southwark ! I have vivid memories of the hangovers that caused. But getting back to the DB in the days she was living in Sydney it would have been a huge journey to get to Adelaide, why Adelaide ? an intriguing puzzle.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
John T how dare you mention that word Southwark ! I have vivid memories of the hangovers that caused. But getting back to the DB in the days she was living in Sydney it would have been a huge journey to get to Adelaide, why Adelaide ? an intriguing puzzle.
Sorry Andy, didn't mean to bring back past traumas, I know what you mean.

They used to get round the coast on loads of passenger ships back in those days so not too hard if you had the dosh. I think one of the posts mentioned that Kate was living in Victoria somewhere, maybe Ballarat. Maybe the Dis. Book ended up for sale somewhere, like those other artifacts that were mentioned.

John T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts