Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently on the news there was a story about the murder of a man on his honeymoon on a cruise ship. My question is, can anyone remember the murders on one of the Castle ships in in the early 1950s.? If my memory serves me it was the bedroom stewart that was put on trial,he was supposed to have dumped the bodies out the porthole,happened off the coast of South Africa.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This was the murder of Gay Gibson who was pushed through the porthole of the 'Durban Castle' one of the Union Castle 'Intermediate' Liners in September 1947. A bedroom steward was subsequently charged with the murder. There is plenty of info on the internet, just type in Gay Gibson on your search engine

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply awateah,as I read your post the memory of the incident came back to me. I will go to the website and read all about it.
John.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There was also a murder on the Kenya Castle in the summer of 1963 while I was on her as a passenger. I am not sure now of the exact cir***stances but remember one crew member killed another. I read later that he got 15 years for manslaughter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Chris, awateah2 is absolutely correct. It was October 1947 and on the Durban Castle. You can see an account of it here listed under the description of Durban Castle:

http://www.red-duster.co.uk/UNION18.htm

The murder I referred to on the Kenya Castle in 1963 was a different incident and involved two crew members.

Ray

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
SS Regina

An earlier one ...
The Times, Monday, Dec 29, 1884
On Saturday there was apprehended at Grimsby, Alfred William Cross, chief
engineer of the steamship Regina, of Sunderland, charged with the
manslaughter on the high seas of George Anderson, a fireman on board the
same vessel. On the 5th November last, when Regina was in the Gulf of
Mexico, outward bound, Andeson died, suddenly. Captain John Cook attributed death to heart disease, but when the vessel arrived at New Orleans some of the crew made depositions to the British Consul to the effect that Cross had given Anderson a push on the 4th November which caused him to fall below. This was ofter an altercation about Anderson remaining too long on deck. The Consul having communicated this information to his Government, The Home Office ordered the apprehension of Cross on his return home.

·
Registered
532 Posts
"DURBAN CASTLE" Murderee..Gay Gibson Murderer..Camb. Hung him. The cabin was turned into a linen locker. I remember it happening at the time and years later I shared a hospital ward in BA with Camb's father.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldbosun. I dont think they hung him,got off with about 12 years then did some more crimes and they put him away again. At least thats what the website said that I read yesterday.
John.

·
Banned
526 Posts
as far as i am aware - there were 2 murders on union castle vessels - durban castle - and the rotherwick castle - although reference has been made to the kenya castle - in all my years of following union castle - 50 odd - i have never seen any written or visual evidence to the latter

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts