Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Captain was called Scott. Alex Armstrong 1st Leckie. 5th & 6th engineers Roy Carpenter & Frankie Trainner I was 2nd Leckie can't remember anymore full names. Joined ship at Rotterdam in the August. Would like to hear from anyone who sailed with me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Master GD Scott
Deck JS Munroe, SC Collier, PRN Maynard
RO R Hickson
C/E AG Davis
Eng AA Meade, G Plastow, RA Huxley, RA Carpenter,F Trainner
Elct JA Armstrong, MJ Edington
Cadets MD O'Carrol, RJ Blacklaws

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Johnnycorgi the names came flooding back good crew to sail with would like to hear from any of them

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Was on Avonbank in 1970 as 2nd Mate and recall a long stay in Port Pirie loading lead concentrate for Antwerp in bulk via quarter ton grabs, weekdays only 0800-1600 with a one hour lunch break! Excellent runs ashore almost every night. Old Man was Austin Hall, Chief Mate was Geoff Mann and 3rd Mate was Tony Coates; can't remember anyone else, except that apart from Sparks they were all from Northern Ireland as were Austin Hall and Geoff Mann, Sparks was from Dublin!

We expected to get grain or sugar or something to get us up towards the Bay of Bengal area and do a typical Bank Line trip of around a couple of years but were surprised when we got the lead concentrate charter - we were only out five months!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pictures Alan the 1st 1 the Moraybank was built at Readheads in South Shields. I was an apprentice electrician & worked on the Corabank & the Meadowbank. That was the reason I picked Bank Line

·
Registered
9 Posts
Waighty I must have joined the Avonbank as you left. Joined 19/10/70 as last trip senior apprentice South Shields drydock. Austin Hall was the oldman with his wife and son. His son used to come and wake me up to play with him around 0500. I was shattered and decieded if I was awake so the engineers should be and took him down into the engineers alleyway to play cars. The mate was really good can't remember his name. I remember the 2nd engineer was Stan Sweeney.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Waighty I must have joined the Avonbank as you left. Joined 19/10/70 as last trip senior apprentice South Shields drydock. Austin Hall was the oldman with his wife and son. His son used to come and wake me up to play with him around 0500. I was shattered and decieded if I was awake so the engineers should be and took him down into the engineers alleyway to play cars. The mate was really good can't remember his name. I remember the 2nd engineer was Stan Sweeney.

Gus, according to my discharge book I paid off on 20/10/70, presumably in South Shields but the stamp is so smudged it's difficult to read; so the day after you joined. I assume Austin Hall stayed on then if he had his family with him. My memory's a bit hazy but I think I was on nights in drydock because of the welding and burning that went on all night - at least that was the official version! The reality was that the night shift clocked on at the gate around 2200 and then went to the clubs until about 0100, then slept in the holds until early morning! I hope you had a good trip after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I sailed with Rick Blacklaws on Meadowbank 1979 he was on his last trip pre 2/m exams and I was on my last trip as cadet with Bank Line after completing my 2/M (I was short of 4 months sea time and was released o/c due to fleet reductions) great set of juniors dismal seniors !. Caught up with him on linked In about 4 years ago when he was working in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We called Ricky Butch he was a nice young lad from Preston I think .kept in touch for a while. Did he reach the dizzy heights of captain

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weighty, yes it was a brilliant trip. Loaded full cargo bagged phosphate for Calcutta, then Cindia line charter to east coast states. Sugar from Vera Cruz to New Orleans where I paid off and flew home to do my ticket (sorry back to UK). Pretty sure that was the trip where a longshoreman fell down No.2 hatch in New York. As I was the first ship crew on the scene I was flown to New York from New Orleans a couple of years later to do an indictment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I sailed with Rick Blacklaws on the Hazlebank in '78-'79, he was senior cadet I was second mate. Good to hear he did well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts