Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 29th May, 1964, the British Navigator, 8520 dwt, was involved in a collision in the Thames Estuary. I remember seeing her limping in to Grain later that day. She was in ballast, I believe, & came in to Grain to complete gas freeing. She was regarded by the Company as a CTL & went straight to the scrapyard in Bruges.
Does anyone know the story of this collision, which other vessel was involved & who was to blame?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
British Navigator

Ahoy John,
this has me intrigued as I have never heard about this collison before so, I have just checked through " Marine News" for 1964 & found no reference to this incident.

Although Marine News is not necessarily authoritative, it is usually spot on with news and info.

Interestingly, there is a report of her being sold to Belgian 'breakers and arviving at Bruges on 22/06/1964.

I will ask a friend , a former BP Captain .. if he doesn't know then who will ?

Regards,
Patalavaca

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patalavaca,
Much appreciated - almost given up hope of further info. I know the date of the collision is correct as I wrote a letter home on the same day, after seeing her come into Grain. I was 3/0 on the Trust at the time & we were loading in Grain for the Baltic. My mother kept all my letters home which was a good follow on from the Journal that we had to keep as apprentices. Am in the process of transferring all the contents of my Journal & letters home to CD for my kids benefit (tho' they show scant interest at the moment!)
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Collision

John,
sorry for the delay in responding - I did in fact ask Captain Stuart Le Fevre ( remember him ?) , now retired , if he had any knowledge of the incident and , alas , he didn't !

I tried !

Best wishes, Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,
Many thanks for trying anyway.
I certainly knew of Stuart Le Fevre when I was with BP but our paths never crossed. Does he live down in Devon? I think he took over from Ronald Marsh as Marine Super in charge of Navigating Apprentices but that was after I had left.
Thanks once again Rick.
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi John,

Stuart lives in Honiton apparently and is keen to assist with my monstrous task of memories, anecdotes etc.

Whilst briefly on that subject....who was the BP Master who used to appear on the bridge at night wearing a "ladies" nightdress..? Used to scare the hell out of my old man whilst on watch..!!

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rushie,

First I've heard of him (her). Any idea what era that was?
Whilst talking of night attire, I used to wear a 'longhi' whilst at sea in bed & still have it to this day (although my wife keeps threatening to throw it out). Several mates & engineers used to wear them during warm weather, as well as the Indian crew. You don't think that this has become confused with a nightie do you?
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi John,

According to my mum it was definitely a ladies nightie.! Enough to make a grown man shake with fear..!

Rushie

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
John
Yes - Captain P.Waller used to walk around on the bridge of the Kiwi in a longhi whilst I was on her!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gadgee said:
John
Yes - Captain P.Waller used to walk around on the bridge of the Kiwi in a longhi whilst I was on her!
Paul,
There you go - Captain Waller & I were a street ahead of David Beckham & his sari! I still do not own a pair of pyjamas to this day & if protocol requires me to look decent in the bedroom (in a hotel for example, when room service is expected) then I take my trusty longhi with me. I still get funny looks!
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Paul,
I sailed with Capt Waller on the Merlin in '72, my last trip, and he must have given up the habit by then. Mind you we were coasting, UK - NW Europe all trip, so it would have been a bit cool around the dangly bits with just a longhi on. In fairness I didn't see much of him on the bridge, he gave everybody a bit of space, much appreciated I must admit.
I'm like John, don't possess a pair of pyjamas and don't see the need for a pair, lost the longhi years ago though so I use a large bath towel these days. Beckham and co are years behind in the fashion stakes!! I wonder how many other SN members also wore/still wear longhis or similar.
Regards,
Richard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder how many other SN members also wore/still wear longhis or similar.
Regards,
Richard.[/QUOTE]
Richard,
Yup, started wearing "Lunghi" Lungi / Dhoti
Traditional men's clothing in India consists solely of a lungi or dhoti. A lungi is a short length of material worn around the thighs like a sarong, while a dhoti is simply a longer lungi with an extra piece of material drawn up between the legs.
in final year of apprenticeship (u/c 3/o) on Indian crew ship (BP) had three in fact, really comfortable, especially up the Gulf and around their country of origin. Also slept on deck, on a wooden contraption that had a sort of canvas hammock arrangement did have correct name cannot for the life of me recall - anyone?
Mac.

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Richard
Sailed with Capt Waller on the Kiwi in 1969 - the warmer parts of our trip were Mombasa, Port Sudan, Aden,Sattahip(Thailand), BMashur, Djibouti, Assab, Massawa so a longhi was appreciated there!! I also possessed one in my BP days but got rid of it long ago.

QUOTE=richardc]Paul,
I sailed with Capt Waller on the Merlin in '72, my last trip, and he must have given up the habit by then. Mind you we were coasting, UK - NW Europe all trip, so it would have been a bit cool around the dangly bits with just a longhi on. Richard.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Longi's

macjack said:
I wonder how many other SN members also wore/still wear longhis or similar.
Regards,
Richard.
Richard,
Yup, started wearing "Lunghi" Lungi / Dhoti
Traditional men's clothing in India consists solely of a lungi or dhoti. A lungi is a short length of material worn around the thighs like a sarong, while a dhoti is simply a longer lungi with an extra piece of material drawn up between the legs.
in final year of apprenticeship (u/c 3/o) on Indian crew ship (BP) had three in fact, really comfortable, especially up the Gulf and around their country of origin. Also slept on deck, on a wooden contraption that had a sort of canvas hammock arrangement did have correct name cannot for the life of me recall - anyone?
Mac.[/QUOTE]

Mac
I remember the longi's, very comfortable. However despised the flip flops , to this day cannot abide them
Graham

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mick Farmer

rushie said:
Hi John,

Stuart lives in Honiton apparently and is keen to assist with my monstrous task of memories, anecdotes etc.

Whilst briefly on that subject....who was the BP Master who used to appear on the bridge at night wearing a "ladies" nightdress..? Used to scare the hell out of my old man whilst on watch..!!

Cheers,

Rushie
Rushie

I think it was Capt Cartwright he also painted his toenails your dad and me

could hardly contain ourselves when first confronted by this

Cheers

Mick

ps good to hear about Stuart Lefevres whereabouts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Having swallowed the anchor in '86 I still wear my Longhi during really hot spells,(like recently) Very comfortable, plenty of "Air Flow" and not easy for other people to pull off?????...............pete

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Cheers Mick.!

Must have been a sight to behold on watch in the middle of the night....!!

Can you recall which ship / ships you were on with my dad at all.?

Cheers Mick,

Rushie

·
Registered
151 Posts
I still wear a Sarong when relaxing in the house, or in this weather in the garden, when required to look decent. Used to get odd looks from the postie or my near neighbours in my little Welsh village. Often wear a kilt when required to look more formal as well, never could abide itchy sweaty bits!!!! Not yet tried ladies nighties though.

John T

·
Registered
32 Posts
rushie said:
Must have been a sight to behold on watch in the middle of the night....!!

Can you recall which ship / ships you were on with my dad at all.?

Cheers Mick,

Rushie

I was on the British Ardour with your dad I left it to get married

Cheers

Mick

1 - 20 of 49 Posts