Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just out of interest,my grandfather was born on board the S.S.Devonia in 1887,en route from Glasgow to New York.He was named after the ship,and since then there has always been children named Devonia in our family,males and females.
Best Regards
Brian Mc Inally
That was the SteamShip Devonshire, a pre-cursor to MV or MS Devonshire I think. The diesel was built in 1939.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Devonia

I was on an educational cruise on this ship in 1963, we sailed from Dundee to Oslo, Leningrad, a day in Moscow, Helsinki and Copenhagen, it was a fantastic experience, to this day still love cruising and I put it all down to the Devonia.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Went on the devonia school cruise late 1960 from leith in scotland,on to copenhagen,stockholm,leningrad,great adventure for me,must have got salt in my blood as went in to the merchant navy not long after that school cruise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
memorabilia

QUOTE=Chris Rogers;86120]Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.[/QUOTE]

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE=Chris Rogers;86120]Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.
[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

the photographs are memorabilia fro M.S. Devonia

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
The Devonia had completed 110 cruises when she was sold on 15th December 1967 for scrapping by S.A. Cantieri Nav. 'Santa Maria' of Genoa.
They commenced work at Spezia in January 1968.
Her place in the educational cruise ship service was taken over by the Uganda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Devonia in 1967

I went on Devonia's last cruise in November 1967. We flew from Gatwick to Genoa where we boarded and cruised for 3 weeks, flying back from Venice. My first cruise AND flight; all for £50 (Thumb) Absolutely wonderful. Other kids completely stripped the ship of everything they could - even sink plugs! :cool:

·
doric
425 Posts
The ship Devonia

As a young fellow born in Swansea, in 1927 , there was later a ship named Devonia, with a white hull, which was a ferry between Swansea and Devon. She had a sister ship on the same route named Glen usk, Does anyone remember these vessels?.

I later joined the Merchant Navy with the Shaw Savill Lines serving as a leckie o the following vessels ;-
Dominion Monarch, Wairangi, Taranaki, Waiwera, also the Royal Yacht Gothic for the Royal Commonwealth Tour of 1953/54, then the Suevic.
I then joined a vessel being built in Scotland named the Triaster, for the British Phosphate Company based in Melbourne Australia. I did many voyages on this vessel to Nauru & Ocean Islands, also the Triadic.
I came ashore in late 1959 & settled in Melbourne, & still reside here in 2014..

Terence Williams. R538301.

·
Registered
1 Posts
September 1966. I was at the Royal Hospital School and our whole year group went.
We left Tilbury on a grey evening and called at Corunna, Oporto and Bordeaux returning to Tilbury in a thick pea soup fog. I remember a horrendous storm in the Bay of Biscay on the way from Corunna to Oporto. I remember a lot of kids from Wales, well the girls anyway!
The dorms were named for explorers and I think our class was in Mungo Park.
I think I enjoyed some of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
India To Uk

Hi, I am 39 year old from New Zealand, but my Mum, Jill Slight, was a matron on this (and sister ships) around the period 1963-1965. She still has the song sheets from the Welsh cruises of this era.

She has not improved in singing voice much over the years, but has learnt some ukulele which drowns out the voice.

She seems to remember this time proudly and with some fondness. Even if the "rusty old bag of nails" was only capable of 8 knots with a tail wind..

Mum is glad to find this page, if anyone wants to continue a conversation, feel free to do so. I will "save passwords" to this site on her computer. So future posts may not be from this cheeky young son of hers.
My family immigrated from India to the UK on this ship in December 1965. I was only six years of age and remember how our cabin got flooded and how all the crew helped us. There were 8 of us. The weather changed as we left Aiden and I think that this trip was the last ship to pass through the Suez canal. As a child it was an experience I will never forget and how the crew did pamper us, they were great. We disembarked in Genoa, arrived at Wimbledon station in December 22 at around 10 p.m.

It is nice that people still remember this ship, it was amazing playing dacoits on the deck.The irony of this all was that my primary school used the same ship for a cruise around Europe as part of my schooling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drama on cruise

I was an educational cruise passenger on ms Devonia in 1965 or 66 from Tilbury to Vigo in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal and Amsterdam. On route the ship recieved an emergency call from another ship, so we had to turn around. we sailed alongside a merchant ship and a line was set up between the two ships. First the doctor from the Devonia crossed over in a bosun's chair and after a short time an injured crew member was winched back on a stretcher. This delay meant our stay in Spain was shorter than it should have been, but no-one minded as we felt we had been part of a mid-sea rescue.
Jansh

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was an educational cruise passenger on ms Devonia in 1965 or 66 from Tilbury to Vigo in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal and Amsterdam. On route the ship recieved an emergency call from another ship, so we had to turn around. we sailed alongside a merchant ship and a line was set up between the two ships. First the doctor from the Devonia crossed over in a bosun's chair and after a short time an injured crew member was winched back on a stretcher. This delay meant our stay in Spain was shorter than it should have been, but no-one minded as we felt we had been part of a mid-sea rescue.
Jansh
not sure which year it was i went on her.i remember calling in lisbon,naples and i think corsica,it was what got me hooked on merchant navy as i would have been about 12 at the time.remember a large group from dartford teachers college

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did a school cruise on the Devonia in 1966.......Swansea, Vigo, Malaga, Gibraltar and Lisbon then did another one on Uganda in 1970 a few months before I went to Liverpool to do "Sparky" training....that one was Swansea, Funchal Madeira, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arecife Lanzarote and Tangier. Fantastic experience for kids.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts