Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did a school cruise on the Devonia in 1966.......Swansea, Vigo, Malaga, Gibraltar and Lisbon then did another one on Uganda in 1970 a few months before I went to Liverpool to do "Sparky" training....that one was Swansea, Funchal Madeira, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arecife Lanzarote and Tangier. Fantastic experience for kids.
not sure which year i did cruise on her.was attending royal hospital school,holbrook at time.i know we called at lisbon,naples and ajacio but cant recall where else

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear old Devonia. I remember her well. I think cruise 67 may well have been her last. My schoolfriends of the time were all from Bideford Grammar in North Devon. I still have my logbook somewhere but I've a feeling my cruise was probably 66 from Millbay Plymouth south to Gibraltar, Malaga, Ceuta and Lisbon. We knew the ship's days were numbered and we berthed alongside Dunera in Lisbon. I think this was the only time the two ships had been together on educational cruises. Dunera was on her last one. The sight of see Gibraltar as the sun rose behind the rock was so magical that many many years later when I eventually did get married, it was back to Gibraltar that I went on my honeymoon. Devonia was terrible in heavy seas and I've got a black and white photo taken on the port lifeboat deck showing her ploughing home across the Bay of Biscay at an angle of 45 degrees! Where was she broken up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into port as we ended up at Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Devonia

I sailed on her in 1967, I think it was her last trip before she was scrapped. We cruised Norway and Sweden. It was a fantastic trip and I've never forgotten it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into port as we ended up at Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chrissy. I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship (at Rapallo, I think) then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into the port of Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I seem in My distant past remember another B&I ship that was an educational one, and converted into a hospital ship doing world health issues off west africa in the 70's or maybe the 80's.
Or am i grasping a memorries of straw- The vessels name escapes me [single funnel jobbe aboy 20. 000 gros tonnes?? I may be sleep walking]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello David - the BI school cruise ships on the go in the late 60's were the 'Devonia', 'Dunera' and 'Nevasa'....these were replaced by the last of them, the 'Uganda' which was 'Taken up from Trade' for use as a Hospital ship in the Falklands war in 1982. I don't think she was converted back for school cruising when she returned but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hello David - the BI school cruise ships on the go in the late 60's were the 'Devonia', 'Dunera' and 'Nevasa'....these were replaced by the last of them, the 'Uganda' which was 'Taken up from Trade' for use as a Hospital ship in the Falklands war in 1982. I don't think she was converted back for school cruising when she returned but I may be wrong.
thank you it was the ''Ugander'' I was trying to think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oxfam trip 1966

Oxfam organised a trip to Algeria in 1966. there were I recall 200 teenage boys and 400 girls from many schools. Sailed from Genoa to Algiers with a goodly storm in the Med. Trips to the Casbah,Tipasa, and into the Sahara, where we overnighted in a Bedouin tent. The headman put on a fine feast for us. Witnessed work being done by save the children fund accompanied by a couple of press reporters. Just been processing some of my badly faded slides from that trip. Was most memorable and enjoyable time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was on Devonia from Starcross girls School 1963 we shared our dormitory with girls from Buckingham Gate school I went to Junior School with some of them from Churchill
Gardens I helped a girl I knew Diane who had an asthma attack by getting help

·
Registered
2 Posts
We sailed from Tilbury we went to Vigo Gibraltar and Casablanca I think I still have my log book too we came back via Liverpool and it was foggy and could not get into port all the ships were sounding their horns and we had to stay in our dorms when we arrived in Liverpool we were all put on a train to London Olympia station where our parents met us they had all been notified I guess by phone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Devonia

I was on an educational cruise on this ship in 1963, we sailed from Dundee to Oslo, Leningrad, a day in Moscow, Helsinki and Copenhagen, it was a fantastic experience, to this day still love cruising and I put it all down to the Devonia.
September 1966. I was at the Royal Hospital School and our whole year group went.
We left Tilbury on a grey evening and called at Corunna, Oporto and Bordeaux returning to Tilbury in a thick pea soup fog. I remember a horrendous storm in the Bay of Biscay on the way from Corunna to Oporto. I remember a lot of kids from Wales, well the girls anyway!
The dorms were named for explorers and I think our class was in Mungo Park.
I think I enjoyed some of it.
I was in Blake at the RHS and was on that cruise too!.. and I also remember well that storm in the Bay of Biscay and was a sick as a dog. We wont the sports award for coming first in the deck hockey knock out comp and i was playing in the midfield. We celebrated in our cabin with drinking cherry brandy - gawd knows where that came from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very excited to have found this site! After reading all the comments, I don't believe the cruise I went on the MS Devonia has been mentioned yet. The ship came into Benghazi, Libya and picked up American and English army/oil kids. We boarded having no idea there were hundreds of other kids from all over the world. Our trip took us from Benghazi to Heraklion, Crete to Cairo, Egypt then over to Beirut, Lebanon then Athens, Greece and back to Benghazi. I was 14 yrs old not sure of date 1966 or 67; but had to be before June 1967 as a holy war happened and we were all evacuated out of Libya.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts