Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm pleased you have thought to mark this date, I didn't see anything in our media though there could have been & I missed it. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Shinz , if I had joined the Kaitawa as a newbie I think I would have deserted at the first port of call, a few weeks was more than enough for me. Have,nt read or heard of any services or news at all regarding the loss .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Gordon, from what I've read, they were pretty uncomfortable vessels, under specified for what they did, the result of some pretty parsimonious management/shareholders. Thanks for the link, I'd not read that before & it makes one realise, with the benefit of hindsight of course, how different things could have been. The last paragraph sums it up well.

·
Registered
Kaitawa
3 Posts
Just found this Forum . My dad was Chief Steward on the Kaitawa when she went down . I was only 6 years old at the time . Nice to find some Chatter still going on as its special history to me and my family and children who never got to meet that Pop from my side . Thank You .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Dazza, condolences mate, really tough to loose your Dad so young, good that you can hang onto his memory & share that with your young.
Steve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Dazza: With the recent 55th anniversary of the Kaitawa tragedy, I added quite a bit more information, photos, etc. to the webpage at http://maritimeradio.org/in-distress/1966-kaitawa-sinks/ and I also gave a talk about Kaitawa at Musick Point Radio Group. Musick Point was the receiving station of Auckland Radio ZLD and it was there that the Pan and Mayday messages from Kaitawa were picked up. There was a great deal of interest from the group. Best wishes, Neil, editor of maritimeradio.org

·
Registered
Kaitawa
3 Posts
Hi Dazza: With the recent 55th anniversary of the Kaitawa tragedy, I added quite a bit more information, photos, etc. to the webpage at 1966: Collier MV Kaitawa sinks near Cape Reinga | Maritime Radio and I also gave a talk about Kaitawa at Musick Point Radio Group. Musick Point was the receiving station of Auckland Radio ZLD and it was there that the Pan and Mayday messages from Kaitawa were picked up. There was a great deal of interest from the group. Best wishes, Neil, editor of maritimeradio.org
Thanks for the reply Neil . I have seen a lot of that over the years on different sites . Thanks to the Internet it makes it easy in this day and age , for us anyway . It is always interesting to read about it and as it is my only path to my History of my Dad its just a memory reminder I suppose . Mum died very young , never got over losing her husband and there was 5 young children she raised on her own with very little money coming from the Trust .
Thanks for your time Neil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the reply Neil . I have seen a lot of that over the years on different sites . Thanks to the Internet it makes it easy in this day and age , for us anyway . It is always interesting to read about it and as it is my only path to my History of my Dad its just a memory reminder I suppose . Mum died very young , never got over losing her husband and there was 5 young children she raised on her own with very little money coming from the Trust .
Thanks for your time Neil.
Hi if you go to Facebook and join Union Stean Ship you will find a lot of info about Kaitawa,regards Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody, time is catching up on us. I joined the kaitawa may 63 captain john warren ,captain robertson august 63 captain george sherlock january 64. I was discharged at portland to Whangarei Hospital feb 64. after sick leave was to rejoin kaitawa but was sent to kaiapoi, after two trips frank underwood( ex navy with me)came to releave me .he asked me if he could go to the kaitawa instead of me and i said ok. Those of us on the kaiapoi about 12mths later will remember how close we were to going down in a storm after losing engines,john bray 4th engineer nearly lost his life in the engine room,the canadan r/o started smoking again.sailed on most of the colliers and karamu.I was the electrician with the motor bike on board .thats another story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening from Canada. I’m interested in whatever I may learn about my school friend, Philip Mowat, radio operator, MV Kaitawa.
His interest was radio communication …. from the time I first met him in school, age 13.
I find it tragic that he died so young. He had finished his training as a certified radio operator through Vancouver Tech.and was offered a job on the Kaitawa. I believe he was flown to Auckland at the expense of the captain with certain conditions of employment.
Wayne HARRIS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Wayne I was R/O on the Kaitawa for a few short (thank goodness) weeks from Sept 1963 till the end of October. Johnny Warren was the OM but the lecky was a kiwi from Greymouth and I don,t remember anyone with a motor bike on board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gordon, I feel pleased simply hearing from you and that you were connected to the Kaitawa. Philip was my best friend in junior high school and helped me become interested in radio communication.
It’s ironic that I’m finally connecting … and that I just now returned from chicken curry dinner provided by neighbour, a kiwi from Touranga.
Thanks,
Wayne

41 - 54 of 54 Posts