Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find information on my grandfather. He served aboard the MV Northern Rover. When the war broke out he stayed aboard under reserve staus. I know where the memorial is and the crew list and also the fact that it was torpedoed by U59 on 31st October 1939 with the loss of all hands. Unfortunately my mother never really knew him because she was too young and my grandmother never spoke of him. Any information regarding the ship or any surviving relatives would be extremely usefull. I know it's a long shot but I have exhausted most information services.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Rob
Have you tried contacting the owners if their still in existance

Mac Line Limited London

·
Banned
25 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello,
NORTHERN ROVER Official number 165344. Was one of 15 similar vessels which carried the NORTHERN prefix built as War repatriations. Probably by Rickmers Werft but some sources say Schichau Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven in 1936.
She was owned by Lever Brothers (The soap powder manufacturers) Under the operating company Mac Line Ltd. London. Port Number LO 164. Originally fishing out of Fleetwood she was transferred to Grimsby in 1937.
She was requisitioned in August 1939 operated out of Kirkwall on contraband patrol.
Most sources say she was sunk by U-59 which was on her second patrol also sinking Fishing Trawlers LYNX II and ST NIDAN.
There is a do***ent in the British National Archives concerning the loss of NORTHERN ROVER. File reference ADM1/11077

Roger

A pic of her sister ship NORTHERN FOAM

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello Again,
from the National Archive file reference ADM199/2563

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Welcome Roger

Hello Roger,

Welcome aboard. Glad you are here your expertise is well known on other forums and will be an asset on here.

Rgds

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Northern Rover

I would like to express my thanks to everyone who has helped me here. I am extremely gratefull. Thank you.
Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts