Ships Nostalgia banner

MV Polar Bear

16K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Drew McFarlane-Slack 
#1 ·
HI I wonder if anyone can shed any light of the ex coaster? Polar Bear this vessel took over from the ex trawler Lundy Gannet which used to be the supply vessel to Lundy Island which usually sailrd from Ilfracombe I now have all the info for the present supply vessel Oldenburg any info of this vessel or any other Lundy Island supply vessel will be greatly appreciated espressialy the Polar Bear, many thanks, Chris Rogers.(Thumb)

#4 ·
Built 1960 as "Agdleq" at H.C. Christensens Staal af 1949, Marstal. Renamed "Polar Bear" in 1971 owned By Lundy Co., registered at Barnstaple
180 grt, 86 nrt, 169 dwt

Judging by her photo and description, I would say that she was not built as a typical coaster. I've a feeling that she may have originally been used as a Greenland supply vessel.

#9 · (Edited)
Polar Bear

Hi David, feeling nostalgic I was looking for a photo, and name, for the predecessor of the Oldenburg, eventually discovered the name and then this link for a photo, but the photo had 'moved', I found the photo posted somewhere else by the same photographer so decided to update the thread. It would be nice to see ant other pics'...

Regards, Brian

Don't forget to 'FOLLOW' The Pier Master...
http://piermaster.blogspot.com/

#10 ·
Hi - I was wondering if anyone had any detailed views of the old Lundy Supply Coaster "Polar Bear" in her days on the North Devon Coast for a model I'm hoping to build. Shipspotting.com has just posted a photo in its "Unknown" section showing her in Castris, St Lucia, last month - so she is still about. If anyone can help I'd be most grateful - I'm working from the drawing in Mike Tedstone's Lundy Packets book. Regards, Dave Purvis.

#17 ·
Hawkey01 (just realised you're not "Hawkeye", not very observant these days).

Don't know if I've already told you this but I was in touch with Dave Gammon (ex Brid) from Ilfracombe a while back and he worked as a deckhand on Polar Bear and Oldenburg, servicing Lundy. Small world.

John T

#18 ·
JT,

Yes I have been called Hawkeye many times, I just let it pass. Proves some do not read what is in front of them!!
Yes you had mentioned Dave G before. Funny but I did not run into him while I was at GIL as i frequented the Ship which was the hang out of the Lifeboat crew and other seafarers.

Neville - Hawkey01

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.