Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ship as a trainee R/O was the P and O Somali. Captain Turner and Chief R/O Colin Kirk. August 58 - November 58. Quite an eye opener for a very naive lad from Norfolk. The only photo I have of that trip was me standing in front of some horse boxes on the afterdeck in Penang as they were being unloaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Keith,
I was a first trip Cadet with you. I well remeber 'Nazi" Turner. An unpleasant character at the best of times.The other cadets were The Hon Victor Vivian, Hartley and John Meridith.
My email is [email protected]. lLving in West Sussex.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Keith, thanks for that, I have a number of photos of the ship. I remember Colin, I think the Chief Officer was called Lowther. The horses I well remember having to clean them out each day!
Michael, Well that is a blast from the past, approximately 62 years ago!!
I am pretty certain that we sat at the same table in the saloon for our meals, basically being the lowest of the low. For an 18 year old it was certainly a fast learning curve. I stayed at sea until 1975 then was employed on the gas platforms in the North Sea till retirement/golden handshake in 2003. Looking back those of us who went to sea in those times certainly enjoyed the best of times
I now live in Lincolnshire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michael, Well that is a blast from the past, approximately 62 years ago!!
I am pretty certain that we sat at the same table in the saloon for our meals, basically being the lowest of the low. For an 18 year old it was certainly a fast learning curve. I stayed at sea until 1975 then was employed on the gas platforms in the North Sea till retirement/golden handshake in 2003. Looking back those of us who went to sea in those times certainly enjoyed the best of times
I now live in Lincolnshire
Certainly is! I think the other Cadets were John Masters who died several years ago, Tony Griffin, the senior cadet,John Meridith, Unknown, and I think the Hon Victor Vivian. If he was there with you you will remember him as one of the youngest alcoholics I ever met. He died of liver failure in Monte Carlo several years ago after running his restaurant. I always remember that for a bet me jumped over the side in Marseilles in the winter and swam to a buoy and back again. called Vivians in SoHo for many years. I think the Chief Steward was MacAlistair. I don't know if you were there when the Chippie dies in the cargo tank. He was only 23 and we buried him in Japan.
You were right. We were so lucky to be at sea then. Today they find it unliveable that we dressed for dinner, had silver service, several stewards, 7 course menus of which I still have a few and days in ports with lots of shore going.Beer was all sops I think!
I stayed at sea all my life leaving at the age of 66, then going immediately into business and being an author. Now have 18 books published 6 novels, based on my time at sea Started and sold a Company and now retired in West Sussex still writing. Email [email protected]. If you google me as Captain Michael Lloyd you can see some of my books.
Best regards,
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts