1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm about a quarter of the way in. You write well, but some more tech details would have been nice.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
OK, finished.

As I said above, you write well. The stories and characters are well crafted. It is always difficult with a book of this type deciding who the audience are..

For a non-seagoing reader, the book provides an interesting insight into the MN of the 70s.

From an R/O's perspective it would have been nice to see some more technical details of the equipment and related technical/watchkeeping stories - perhaps in an annex or two..

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have just self-published an account of my time at sea as a Radio Officer in the 1970's. The title is 'The Radio Officer is dead' and it is available as an e-book on Amazon at:
Amazon.com: The Radio Officer is dead: Life at sea for a Marine Radio Officer in the 1970’s eBook: Brew, John: Kindle Store
It may be downloaded to a Kindle e-reader, or in various other ways as well; see online.
Well done, John. There needs to be more books of this sort. I've just downloaded the kindle version. I have two in publication in the same genre, but as an r/o in the 50/60s. The latest is, 'You'll See Wonders'. It is usually in the top twenty in the Amazon category 'Ships' or 'Ship references'. I see you have placed yours in 'Travel' and 'Memoir' - You might be more easily discovered in categories specifically devoted to ships. With the thousands of titles that appear each year nowadays, a well-focussed category placement can avoid a book getting lost in the welter of new issues.
Good fortune with the new book.
Harry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done, John. There needs to be more books of this sort. I've just downloaded the kindle version. I have two in publication in the same genre, but as an r/o in the 50/60s. The latest is, 'You'll See Wonders'. It is usually in the top twenty in the Amazon category 'Ships' or 'Ship references'. I see you have placed yours in 'Travel' and 'Memoir' - You might be more easily discovered in categories specifically devoted to ships. With the thousands of titles that appear each year nowadays, a well-focussed category placement can avoid a book getting lost in the welter of new issues.
Good fortune with the new book.
Harry
Hello Harry,
Thanks for you generous comments about my book.
I take your point about categories. This is my first ever publication, so I was really undecided as to how to choose the most appropriate or relevant categories. I will definitely revisit this.
Thanks again,
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts