Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To my eternal shame and possible expulsion from the website, I posted a doctored photo of SS Romanic here with the following request

"Sorry about the photo quality but can anyone help to identify this British cargo ship photographed in Auckland around 1957? It looks about 6500 tons and has a two tone funnel. Cheers. Triple X"

The photo was taken by a shipmate in NZ about 49 years ago. I made five changes to the original, but several members commented on a 'Star of David' on the funnel. This is a complete mystery to me - another miracle perhaps. Towards the end of a lengthy and learned discussion which you can follow in the posts below, I sneakily replaced the doctored photo with the original.

If I have offended anyone (apart from any geeks) I do apologise. I can definitely recommend this site as the members' knowledge of ships is most impressive; I certainly learnt quite a lot about the Romanic. (Applause)

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
no tramp! looks like a blue funnel.

looks like one of those flat bottom class of ships used on aussie coast !!
China boat experts will know this one .
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Not a 100% certain but it could be a China Nav Vessel possibly Chengtu or that class

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Could it be a rebuilt Liberty, hull form looks similar, think the Italians had a go at a couple. Another oddity is the enclosed bridge wings pointing to possible Scandinavian origins.I can`t make out the funnel markings well enough to pass any comment.
David

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Santos said:
The Funnel marking looks like a Star of David struck through with something.
Chris
The only company I can think of that would fit that descripion would be Lucy Borchard Shipping Of Israel

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Hugh,
I think you have solved the mystery. (Applause)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Romanic

Hi Triple X
It looks very much like the “Romanic” 9927 t.d.w.
Built in 1954 by Smith Dock & Co. Ltd. Middlesbrough for the Bolton Steam Shipping Company.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

is the mystery solved,or has the ship had some work done on it,count the windows/ports on what would be the old man's deck ,and check the fore part again,sorry dom.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Right enough dom! Well spotted - back to the search guys! (Ouch)

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

did the bolton S.S. Co have a white band around the hull,maybe a clue there,also if whoever has the original photo try looking at the name with a mag.glass see if you can get one or two of the letters,it appeares there are seven letters

·
Registered
972 Posts
All pics seem to have a broad letter for 3rd letter in name..but if she was chartered to Shaw Savill for 7 years 54/61, she is carrying the Shaw Savill line on hull... can't pick out a signal flag on middle pic..but suggest to me she is on speed trials and the port/window arrangement looks the same on middle and bottom pics, so if original top pic was taken in 57 why do away with line while still on charter and change structure..just my two bobs worth..tricky one????

Attachments

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

could go along with the 'M',on the ship in question is the first letter in the name smaller eg, eIKMHJK

·
Registered
442 Posts
Gdynia
All the China Nav "C,K" class ships of the late 1950's and early 60's had goalpost masts with the exception of the last of this class "Kweilin" of 1962 which had bipod masts. Also China Nav did not start their NZ service until 1962, so I think we can rule out "Chengtu"

Mac

1 - 20 of 74 Posts