Ending my life as a Regal and on the screen

Name that ship!

Bruce C.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bruce Carson said:
She was not a generic Royal: her last renaming was for a specific person.

Calvin, a specific person.

Big Clue:
Two Greek ladies, one Royalty, the other Melina Mercouri, are involved.

Bruce C.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Never On Sunday" is correct---now what well known American built ship renamed for Greek Royalty appeared in that movie?

Bruce C.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's it, Piero, good show.

A fish and then a poetic owner's name
Was I when first into this world I came
Then cold waters named for had I been
Ending my life as a Regal and on the screen

Built in 1926 by William Cramp, Philadelphia as Matson Navigation's 'Malolo', which, as their ads of the period proclaimed. "meant 'flying fish' in Hawaiian".
17,230GT, 582' x 83', twin Screw, turbines, 22 knots service speed, 695 1st class passengers.
Matson renamed her 'Matsonia'in 1937 (poetic owner's name).
Home Lines renamed her Atlantic (cold waters) in 1946 and their subsidiary, National Hellenic American Line, changed her name to 'Vasilissa Friederiki' ('Queen Frederica') (Regal)) in 1954. To Chandris in 1965 without change of name.
She was featured in the 1960 hit movie, "Never on Sunday", starring Melina Mercouri as the proverbial prostitute with a heart of gold. It's been a long time since I've seen the film, but I believe the liner is featured at the beginning of the movie, taking the naive American, played by Jules Dassin, to Greece and then at the end, returning him to the US.
After a period in layup, she was scrapped in 1977-8. All in all, a fine record for a liner that was almost sunk during her sea trials when she and a freighter collided in fog near Nantucket Lightship.
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-civil/civsh-m/malolo.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.com/queen_frederica_1927_bild_1.htm

Bruce C.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts