Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With due credit to Barney for his stylish 4 part quizzes, a slightly different but very “Tongan” set of 4 related questions:

1. Can you name me – I am a cargo ship of the 1950’s and the 3rd to bear the name – the other two were sunk?

2. Where was I built?

3. Why was I unique?

4. How did this uniqueness come about?

Good luck
Tonga

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning Phil, it would be fair to say that "Tongan" in this context must surely refer to "Houlders" - we also have identified it as a "Cargo Ship" which narrows it down a bit more as we did not have so many of those in the 50's.

(*))

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Oregis converted from a cargo vessel into a oil support vessel.Ran aground on her first trip from yard

·
Registered
296 Posts
1 NS "Savannah"
2 Built in 1955 at New York Shipbuilding of Camden - NJ
3 First nuclear-powered cargo vessel, named from first steam powered ship to cross the Atlantic in 1819
P.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Barney, no sorry - the clue was in "Cargo Ship" - and Duquesa was a Reefer.

Come to think of it, there were only TWO ships named Duquesa, although I accept the 1918 one was captured (by Admiral Sheer) and then scuttled.

·
Registered
718 Posts
1) Oswestry Grange (1952)

2) Hawthorne, Leslie & Co., Ltd. Newcastle.

3) ?

4) ?

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This afternoon's cryptic clue... Hawthorne, Leslie & Co., had until then built the reefers ships for Houlders - this was not a reefer ship (*))

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Barney, that is not the answer - the yard had built many ships before her, including reefers for the Houlder Line and indeed, it was this familiarity that lead to the idiosyncracy.....

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just a silly guess:

She had either a refrigeration flat space or a Refrigeration Engineers cabin, but did not have any refrigeration equipment or a Refrigeration Engineer.

I did say it was a silly guess!

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jaigee, not a silly guess – but it is wrong, although it earns another clue.

Yes the yard did take a decision on their own initiative – one based on the fact that they had been building slightly classy “liners” and not cargo ships for Houlder Brothers and opted to continue with something they thought was the norm, but it was an error; it was not anything involved in the actual construction.

Ninja very kindly posted a photograph of the fine ship...

(*))

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Calvin, sorry no - that would have been more to do with construction and this anomaly was merely cosmetic, but it was never altered and she remained like it throughout her career in Houlders.
(*))

1 - 20 of 29 Posts