Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,894 Posts
Line-up of Blueys in Keppel Harbour, Singapore.

OK As No One Got Them. here Are The names.

From 1st Left. ANSWERS !!!!!! Nobody gets the banana.

LAOMEDON. ANCHISES. ASCANIUS. GORGON. (S'pore to W Australian Service) PYRRHUS.

So how come none of you Blue Funnel Lads got Gorgon. Sister of Charon !!!!!!

Ray Wurtzburg 'phoned me this afternoon (11th Nov.) to tell Capt.Bax, that it was he who commissioned that photograph. Ray was, at that time, the Mansfield's Manager for Blue Funnel, and on noticing the line-up, urgently instructed a professional photographer to get afloat as quickly as possible in order to get the picture before any of the ships sailed. Ray admitted that it was he who wrongly dated the picture in Mansfield's records.
Hugh Ferguson (at that time in 1953 was 2nd mate in the GLENROY)

· Registered
128 Posts
I wonder if any of you Blue Flue folk have a photo of Patroclus (1950)? I had a great shot of her overtaking us in 1969 (we had both just left Panama, Patroclus was Japan bound and we were NZ bound). My copy is too water damaged to place on SN.
regards

· Registered
321 Posts
re photos of 5 Blue Flu Boats I dont ken what they are but it looks like the stern of a Ben Boat just ahead of the first one. When I was on the Bencruachan about 1952 the rumour was that King Alfred said that "for every Ben Line ship that leaves the UK there will be 5 Blue Funnel vessels after her" I remember zipping past the Clytoneus on the Cruachan doing 24 knots, Capt Typhoon Jones and C/E Tammy Towers both puffing away at their pipes as we did so!
Ern Barrett

· Registered
1 Posts
One of the "Sheep"

Hi John.

The same picture is on Page 265 under the picture of Gorgon discharging her" passengers" ..Sheep.
Capt Bax
I happen to be one of the said "sheep". My family left Australia for Labuan in North Borneo in 1956. We travelled on the Gorgon from Fremantle as I recall stopping in Bali and Singapore on the way. I was just 6 years old at the time and my vivid memory is of being chastised by the Captain ( I hope it wasn't you Capt Bax!) for teasing a fellow female passenger. The threat was that if I reoffended I would be thrashed on the bridge in full view of all the other passengers!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.