Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Robert Gordon's School of Navigation (now taken over by Aberdeen College) for 2nd Mate's in the last quarter of 1968, Mate's in the same period in 1970, and Master's in same period in 1975. These were large classes with most of the same people on each one. Would like to hear where any of them are now.
Donald Campbell

·
Registered
691 Posts
Attended College of Technology Belfast for Pre-Sea training in 1957. Studied for tickets at Blythe Street in Belfast. Anyone remember Blythe Street? Colin

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
R651400 said:
Leith Nautical College 54/56. I have the college's centenary "Sea Dominies" if anyone wants a copy.
I was there for presea training in 1952 and did my other certificates there as well.
Would be interested in reading about "sea Dominies" asthe only guy I remember from that period was Capt Wright. Of course Captain Tait of the Dolphin will forever be in my memeory

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pre-sea early forties, Captain MacKay, Mr. Bogie, Pricipal W.Fisher: Enormous fun with lifeboat drill (Board of Trade Sports) for Lifeboat Ticket, West Old Dock. Much later at Radar School, Imperial Basin, Next to Pilot Station - Mr. Moffatt.
Regards...............WLH

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Did my 2nd Class Steam Certificate at the West Graham Street annexe of Stow College, Glasgow. Before it went all upmarket as the "Stow College of Nautical Studies"
Ist Class Steam Cert and Motor endorsement at Kingsway Technical College, Dundee. There were only two class rooms and two lecturers in an annexe well away from the great unwashed that attended the Tech College.
Mr Barrie did all the Part A subjects. Mr Simpsons all the Part B subjects.
Much of the Engineering Knowledge was done on a "self teach" basis using past exam papers. Mr Simpson for some reason always wanted candidates to take their exams at Leith - just to be different I went to Glasgow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did my 2nd Class Steam Certificate at the West Graham Street annexe of Stow College, Glasgow. Before it went all upmarket as the "Stow College of Nautical Studies"
Ist Class Steam Cert and Motor endorsement at Kingsway Technical College, Dundee. There were only two class rooms and two lecturers in an annexe well away from the great unwashed that attended the Tech College.
Mr Barrie did all the Part A subjects. Mr Simpsons all the Part B subjects.
Much of the Engineering Knowledge was done on a "self teach" basis using past exam papers. Mr Simpson for some reason always wanted candidates to take their exams at Leith - just to be different I went to Glasgow.
Stow College remained Stow College and still exists having avoided being built over by the M8. West Graham Street also still exists but the Annexe building is long gone under new housing.

The Glasgow College of Nautical Studies was built on the south side of the Clyde and all marine courses (and W.Graham Street staff) transferred there. These days the last two words in the title seem to be getting smaller and smaller - just like the British MN. You may remember lecturers Tommy Main, Alec Bolwell amd Tom Smith?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Mclean

Ex Blythe Street Belfast. Pre Sea 1961/2 2nd Mates 1966. Fond memories of some great times, Capt MacDonald, "Kit" Carson, Capt Boyd among others. Old school long gone but Blythe Street still there, all redeveloped housing with a wall mural of George Best at the Sandy Row corner.

Regards

Fergus 62

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies

Stow College remained Stow College and still exists having avoided being built over by the M8. West Graham Street also still exists but the Annexe building is long gone under new housing.

The Glasgow College of Nautical Studies was built on the south side of the Clyde and all marine courses (and W.Graham Street staff) transferred there. These days the last two words in the title seem to be getting smaller and smaller - just like the British MN. You may remember lecturers Tommy Main, Alec Bolwell amd Tom Smith?
Hi Barry M,
It was so long ago, circa 1965-66 - I cannot remember any of the lecturers at West Graham Street Annexe. Strangely though I can remember an attractive young lady washing her windows in a tenement building that looked onto the back of the annexe - I guess in Buccleuch Street.

Jim S

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Barry M,
It was so long ago, circa 1965-66 - I cannot remember any of the lecturers at West Graham Street Annexe. Strangely though I can remember an attractive young lady washing her windows in a tenement building that looked onto the back of the annexe - I guess in Buccleuch Street.

Jim S
Jim,
Could it have been Velma of the Buccleuch Street Chippie who had a fragrance of chip fat and an extra scoop of chips for those she fancied?

BarryM

PS. I started there in '63.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi Mclean

Ex Blythe Street Belfast. Pre Sea 1961/2 2nd Mates 1966. Fond memories of some great times, Capt MacDonald, "Kit" Carson, Capt Boyd among others. Old school long gone but Blythe Street still there, all redeveloped housing with a wall mural of George Best at the Sandy Row corner.

Regards

Fergus 62
Hi Fergus 62. Remember the dash to the dole on a friday afternoon? Cannot remember the amount, but it was small, and a few pints put a big holr in it. Marvellous times. Regards Colin

·
Registered
961 Posts
I went pre-sea to The London Nautical School, formerly Rotherhithe Nautical.
2nd mate at Edward VII, mate and master at Sir John Cass.

Split

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was in West Graham St. in 1966, The lass who typed the cadet test papers caught my eye, went out with her and 38 years later am still stuck with her. Wee Margaret was her name and she still has fond memories of what she called her engineers. She went down to the new college but packed it in as she said " cant stand deckies" Old Mundie was the head in West Graham St and a true gentleman he was. Great memories of the place and I still think they taught engineering the proper way. The Wee Barra sends her regards to any SN members who passed through her gentle hands.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
West Graham Street Annexe

Jim,
Could it have been Velma of the Buccleuch Street Chippie who had a fragrance of chip fat and an extra scoop of chips for those she fancied?

BarryM

PS. I started there in '63.
Barry,

I have kept this vision of beauty for some 40 years and you have done your best to sully it. - Velma from the Chippie how could you!! - I never had the pleasure by the way.
A later contributor mentions the rush o a local dole office (Belfast) on a Friday afternoon. I recall the same at Sauchiehall Street where the staff treated we students with contempt while welcoming the long term unemployed like old friends. It was with some relief that the policy of shipping companies paying wages less unemployed benefit was changed later on when I was studying for Chief's.

Jim S

·
Registered
118 Posts
Barry,

I have kept this vision of beauty for some 40 years and you have done your best to sully it. - Velma from the Chippie how could you!! - I never had the pleasure by the way.
A later contributor mentions the rush o a local dole office (Belfast) on a Friday afternoon. I recall the same at Sauchiehall Street where the staff treated we students with contempt while welcoming the long term unemployed like old friends. It was with some relief that the policy of shipping companies paying wages less unemployed benefit was changed later on when I was studying for Chief's.

Jim S
Jim,

I can assure you that Velma was a vision of loveliness - especially to Shetland Bob who ended up as a 21 stone weakling and thus unable to resist her oily charms.

Barry

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was in West Graham St. in 1966, The lass who typed the cadet test papers caught my eye, went out with her and 38 years later am still stuck with her. Wee Margaret was her name and she still has fond memories of what she called her engineers. She went down to the new college but packed it in as she said " cant stand deckies" Old Mundie was the head in West Graham St and a true gentleman he was. Great memories of the place and I still think they taught engineering the proper way. The Wee Barra sends her regards to any SN members who passed through her gentle hands.
Wee John,

I think I remember the "Wee Barra". She may be the one who gave Peter G a rollocking for setting off the fire alarms leading to an evacuation of the building after leaning on and cracking the alarm break-glass. I think that anyone who remembers Old Mundie would echo your opinion of a "true gent" and Tom Smith, Alec Bolwell and Tommy Main (arch-skiver) still stick in the mind.

·
Registered
235 Posts
hi Colin

Remember to dole dash well, must be part of some sort of a record for the maximum number squashed into a Ford Corsair -not mine I hasten to add. I have a faint memory it was something like £4 - 4s - 0p per week. I also remember walking to hte College along the little streets off Sandy Row, you had to walk on the road and not the footpath which was being scrubbed stopless by the women from the houses, you dare not dirty the footpath. Great times, friends and wonderful memories, Clarendon Dock for boatwork, Carrickfergus Radar School etcetc, wouldnt have missed it for the world

Rgds
Fergus 62

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Wee barra remembers a few bollickins she had to hand out to various people, particularly lecturers. Tommy Main was a lovely man, O.K. not the greatest of lecturers, but a great fund of stories for green cadets. The Wee Barra still thinks that the generation of engineers from her time were true gentelmen. Honest ,she still says it.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Pre-sea and 2nd.mates at the old James Watt college in Greenock.
Now (sadly) teaches everything from hairstyling to cookery , nearly
everything but navigation and engineering.
mates and Masters in Glasgow (then a fairly new school of nautical studies.

JC

·
Registered
109 Posts
I attended a Catering school run by Liverpool Education Dept, it was a six weeks course, which I think was run to feed the upper crust, as thats what happened of a lunch time, having completed the course it was the devils own job to get on the pool or to join the union, talk of catch 22s, this being 1947,I did eventually get to sea with Royal Mail. cheers Bob

1 - 20 of 109 Posts