Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

I am looking for nautical literature, preferably novels please. I am quite new to the genre and quite new to reading. I used to read just those book that were necessary for class but due to some life events I discovered reading for pleasure and how much joy it brings me. Since I am very passionate about ships and everything nautical I would like to read more novels that take action in such cir***stances. What I know about is "MobyDick" by Herman Melville, "Terror" by Dan Simmons, books by Julius Verne. Could you please recommend something more? Time and age doesn't matter whether it takes place in the Ancient times, Renaissance or modern - I will read them all!

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Try my Merchant Navy series which you'll find on Amazon. Not novels, but you should find them interesting.

Ian

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Try "The Birthday Boys" by Beryl Bainbridge, set on Scott's last expedition it interweaves fact with supposition.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Historical seafaring books: Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Modern sea stories by Douglas Reeman (who also wrote the Alexander Kent books) should keep you occupied for years. There are also real and fictionalised books of historical seamen, their exploration and battles. Even Tennyson's ballad poem, "The Revenge," which is certainly dramatic if nothing else. I wish you good reading.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Historical seafaring books: Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Modern sea stories by Douglas Reeman (who also wrote the Alexander Kent books) should keep you occupied for years. There are also real and fictionalised books of historical seamen, their exploration and battles. Even Tennyson's ballad poem, "The Revenge," which is certainly dramatic if nothing else. I wish you good reading.
Post Script: Don't think of starting a sea career from reading about it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The tales of Para Handy. Chust sublime!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Good day!

I am looking for nautical literature, preferably novels please. I am quite new to the genre and quite new to reading. I used to read just those book that were necessary for class but due to some life events I discovered reading for pleasure and how much joy it brings me. Since I am very passionate about ships and everything nautical I would like to read more novels that take action in such cir***stances. What I know about is "MobyDick" by Herman Melville, "Terror" by Dan Simmons, books by Julius Verne. Could you please recommend something more? Time and age doesn't matter whether it takes place in the Ancient times, Renaissance or modern - I will read them all!

Thanks!

My author page on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Nicholson/e/B004M3VTYC/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_2
has three that might suit: "The Best of Days", "The Black Caravel", and just out: "One Jump Ahead" the latter under the name A J Mann.

Best wishes for happy hours in a good armchair.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I suppose that had They not been closed down by the ever caring govenment You could have taken a walk down to Your local library , and found loads!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I've not read----

Try my Merchant Navy series which you'll find on Amazon. Not novels, but you should find them interesting.

Ian
----your books----yet, Ian, but I would agree with you that our lives-at-sea, chronicled in book form, would/could be just as 'entertaining'(*)) as ANY novel! Phil

·
Registered
78 Posts
And for some non-fiction reading you can't go past any of Rob Mundle's works. e.g. Fatal Storm - about the ill-fated 1998 Sydney to Hobart yacht race and some cracking books about Cook, Flinders, Bligh, The First Fleet and The Clipper Ships.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Brian Callison has written some good books, with a seaman's sense of humour in most. I think he was ex MN.

'Two years before the mast' by RH Dana; I've read this in a number of edited versions. He also wrote a book about when he went back to California (overland?) after it became a US state and not part of Mexico.

There is a small series of books written about the HIC navy, but I can't remember the author; the period is set in the same time as Hornblower, and there is even a nod to 'Hornblower and the Atropos' in the first book of the series.

HTH

Martyn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts