Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the haydays of our Merchant Navy alot of the NE Coast Companies rgistered their vessels in Newcastle,North Shields,British West Hartlepool etc. Where there ever any vessels registered in South Shields as at the time was a very large Seamans community.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I was under the impression that only certain ports were able to register ships, Newcastle up here in the north east for example. I thought North Shields and South Shields were mainly for Fishing boats. I may be wrong on this.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stag Line

Jeff
I sailed with the above Tyne based company for 8 years all their vessels were registered in North Shields - where office was also.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
how about HEDLEM of WHITBYall there ships where registered there and not one of them could get in the port. i.e.EGTON RUNSWICK KILDAER SANDSEND SNEATON all big ships 8500tons ect

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hedlam

Thats right Sam plus Turnbull Scotts as well.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Spot on, I served my time sitting at the end of the Pilot Jetty right next door and we used to ping them off with air guns, they live in the rocks just above the high water level and used to scavenge around the riverside they now find better pickings in dust bins. I never Piloted the Anco Dutchess by the way.

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Likewise Metcalfe's "Industria" and "Dunelmia". Also, pretty sure Bolton's were registered in Middlesbrough.

Not in the Northeast, but Geest ships were registered in Boston, and occasionally Americans, querying why a US ship was flying the Red Duster, had to be informed about the real Boston - in Lincolnshire!

John T.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Before you could register a ship in a port there had to be a registry there, and indeed, in the times we are talking about there were a large number of registries around the country's ports, allowing some quite excentric registries with some owners often for reasons of family connections etc. However, there was a proposal many years back, before I left the UK, to reduce to one central registry in London as the sole UK registry. I would imagine this went through, the exceptions being what are in effect indigenous flags of convenience like Douglas IOM etc.
CBoots

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
That has actually happened. There is only one registry office now, and that's in Cardiff. So technically, all British ships are registered there, and it's the place where you send to for discharge books etc.
However, part of the deal for changing to Cardiff was that shipowners were allowed to paint a 'Port of Preference' on the Stern, i.e., you could have your ship 'registered' anywhere you like, but it wasn't really registered there, if you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Dishcharge Books and Tickets

Discharge books were for some reason issued in different places. I have two books the first goes up to 1972 issued in Dundeeand the second starts in 1973 issued Tyne & Weir South Shields . The format inside the books is slightly different . I guess everone must have had to a new book at that time ? I dont rember why ?? Can anybody remember why ? I remember I had to get my new book in a hurry to join a ship so I went down to Shields in person to avoid mail delays . Issued 31 Jan 1973 and I was signed on the Luminous in Ras Tanura 4th Feb .
Regarding tickets although I sat my Chiefs in Aberdeen it was issued at The Port of Inverness ( I lived in Inverness at that time ) I got a letter advising me to pick it up at the Customs House in Inverness. The customs officer who gave me the Ticket said it was the first he had issued ?? I seem to recollect I was asked where I wanted it issued as it took some time after the examinations / orals before the do***ent was issued for some reason ?
Does anybody have similar experiences ? Perhaps Inverness was the centre for the Highlands and Islands ??

Derek

1 - 20 of 56 Posts