Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sailed on her from Southampton to Portugal, Malta, Alexandria and think we flew back from Venice. I'm thinking about 1964.

Met twin sisters from Fleet, Hants and had a rare old time, especially as I continued to see them when we got back home!!!!

A bunch of us got into trouble after punching small lead bungs out of our dorm bulkhead which gave us a view into one of the female dorms bathroom. Learned a lot that trip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nevasa Educational Cruise 1970

I was on the Hampshire schools Nevasa cruise to Lisbon, Naples, Greek Islands, Athens and Venice in November 1970. Wonderful memories with many friends, one of whom eventually became my wife eight years later. Nice to see (rather grainy) cine film of that very cruise on YouTube. What an elegant looking ship she was (Nevasa that is, not the wife!) .

We were in a dormitory (Anson??) where there was a sliding watertight door, opened by a handle that turned a rack and pinion arrangement; on the other side was a girls' dormitory, so we decided to open the door. Needless to say there was an indicator on the bridge to show that the door had been opened and we were rather quickly "taken in hand" by the dreaded Master at Arms. Lucky not to be keelhauled or flogged.

Best wishes

RB

·
Registered
1 Posts
1967 Scandinavian cruise

Hi, Spansun et al,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have only just found it.

I think I was on the same 1967 cruise which passed the Devonia. I recall it as being somewhere south of Tobermory. I recall the Tannoy saying that it was her last trip before being taken out of service. I was with a large group of school parties from North Wales, sailing from Liverpool, and was in Blake dorm, right in the bows of the ship.
Don't remember St. Kilda at all, just very rough through the night as we rounded Cape Wrath. First stop Bergen, where we berthed in front of the Jupiter/Black Prince. Trips out to visit the aquarium and Edvard Griegs house, and the Stave Kirk.
Were supposed to stop at Kristiansand for a regatta, but it was too rough, so carried on to Oslo (Fram and Vigeland sculpture park).
Then on to Copenhagen for the little mermaid, Tivoli Gradens and unofficially, Nyhavn!
Finally through the Kiel Canal to Amsterdam and the Dam Square.
Remember the Tannoy playing Rule Brittania, and A Life on the Ocean Wave as we left port.
A very educational trip for an impressionable 15 year old, in more ways than one!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went to The Royal Hospital School, Holbrook (for the sons of seamen) and the 2nd year kids went on a cruise each year I went on the Nevasa around the Medi in December 68 the previous year went on the Devonia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up a old thread!

My grandfather sailed on this ship from England (Southampton?) - Hong Kong in 1956/1957 for National Service. They went via South Africa due to the Suez Crisis. Was anyone else on this journey? His name was Michael Pugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
H.M.T Nevasa

My Granfather was in the 2/5 th AFR as a GNR.
He was on the Nevasa in March 1942,Just found out he was court Martialed aboard the Nevasa. For striking an officer!
Would like more information on the Nevasa 1940s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1967 Scandinavian cruise

Hi, Spansun et al,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have only just found it.

I think I was on the same 1967 cruise which passed the Devonia. I recall it as being somewhere south of Tobermory. I recall the Tannoy saying that it was her last trip before being taken out of service. I was with a large group of school parties from North Wales, sailing from Liverpool, and was in Blake dorm, right in the bows of the ship.
Don't remember St. Kilda at all, just very rough through the night as we rounded Cape Wrath. First stop Bergen, where we berthed in front of the Jupiter/Black Prince. Trips out to visit the aquarium and Edvard Griegs house, and the Stave Kirk.
Were supposed to stop at Kristiansand for a regatta, but it was too rough, so carried on to Oslo (Fram and Vigeland sculpture park).
Then on to Copenhagen for the little mermaid, Tivoli Gradens and unofficially, Nyhavn!
Finally through the Kiel Canal to Amsterdam and the Dam Square.
Remember the Tannoy playing Rule Brittania, and A Life on the Ocean Wave as we left port.
A very educational trip for an impressionable 15 year old, in more ways than one!
Hi, I was on this Scandinavian cruise in 1967 where we went to Oslo instead of Kristiansand. Loved Norway but loved the ship. Endless queues for food and I remember queues at the medical facilities too. I was with the North Wales schools and can’t remember the dorm name but I was on the top bunk. Remember everything except not much of Amsterdam. Wish I could. Happy days. Think it was August.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sailed on her when she was a troopship, around 1956 or 1957, would make me around 9 or 10. My father got posted to Singapore with the RAF. Landed at Gib, through the Suez, somewhere in India, Calcutta I think then Singapore
You must have been on it at the same time as my husband. He was 9 when it sailed to Singapore. His Dad was a pilot with the RAF at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cruise on Nevasa.

Sailed on Nevasa in 1968 (or maybe 69) from Liverpool - school trip St. George's Middle School in Wallasey. Sailed to Funchal, Madeira then on to Oran. Then to Cadiz. As the ship sailed (at night) from Cadiz bound for Lisbon I remember waking up suddenly because the engines had stopped. There was a problem with the engines which resulted in us being towed back to Cadiz where we spent an extra day or two instead of going to Lisbon. All the kids cheered as the Captain announced this over the tannoy because we had enjoyed ourselves in Cadiz and didn't really care about going to Lisbon. The story was picked up by (amongst others) the Liverpool Echo - I still have the newspaper cutting about schoolchildren on stricken ship.

The cruise was a fantastic experience. I remember our Master at Arms - a guy called Snowy White. Anyone else remember him? Also the food was fantastic. Only unpleasant thing was loads of kids being sick as we crossed Bay of Biscay.

I still have a project I wrote when we came back and of course my logbook.

Very sad that the ship was scrapped.
Wow! I've only just found this page, many years after you posted this. I too was on that "stricken" ship. I went to Somerville Secondary school. Never had any photos from that cruise, my parents probably did but they would have been lost many years ago. I always, remember being given barley sugars for the dreaded sea sickness or pretending to be sick just to have one 🤒😂 Happy days back then!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts