Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Can I introduce my newly-published book, Tales from the Waves. This follows my often-precarious studies and subsequent career as an R/O with P & O General Cargo Division. It includes a short history of radio, some details on communications, watch-keeping and distress (at least partly for the benefit of non-R/Os reading the book), some maritime history, and recollections, misadventures and trivia on ports, people, sights, entertainment, and daily life on board. The book is now available on Amazon, and I'm told it will appear on other platforms soon; also the Kindle/e-book should become available in two weeks or so. If you decide to read it I hope you enjoy it! UK link here, and it is in other countries too! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Wave...+from+the+waves&qid=1630330678&s=books&sr=1-1

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone. Can I introduce my newly-published book, Tales from the Waves. This follows my often-precarious studies and subsequent career as an R/O with P & O General Cargo Division. It includes a short history of radio, some details on communications, watch-keeping and distress (at least partly for the benefit of non-R/Os reading the book), some maritime history, and recollections, misadventures and trivia on ports, people, sights, entertainment, and daily life on board. The book is now available on Amazon, and I'm told it will appear on other platforms soon; also the Kindle/e-book should become available in two weeks or so. If you decide to read it I hope you enjoy it! UK link here, and it is in other countries too! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Wave...+from+the+waves&qid=1630330678&s=books&sr=1-1
Hello,...I very much look forward to purchasing and reading your book. I was a passenger aboard the P. & O. "ORSOVA" in 1970. I was only 7 years of age and we travelled from Southampton to Los Angeles. Can you tell me (approximately) how many days that crossing would have taken. We stopped at the Everglades for a day, then travelled through the Panama Canal, stopped at Acapulco for the day, then continued up to San Pedro, Los Angeles. Thank you in advance. John Paul Dean.
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,...I very much look forward to purchasing and reading your book. I was a passenger aboard the P. & O. "ORSOVA" in 1970. I was only 7 years of age and we travelled from Southampton to Los Angeles. Can you tell me (approximately) how many days that crossing would have taken. We stopped at the Everglades for a day, then travelled through the Panama Canal, stopped at Acapulco for the day, then continued up to San Pedro, Los Angeles. Thank you in advance. John Paul Dean.
[email protected]
Hi John. A good adventure, and I expect you wish you remembered more of it! You must have been on board for around 21 to 25 days, depending on duration of stopovers. I hope you enjoy the book.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ordered it…looking forward to the read

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just ordered this book in order to indulge in a bit of nostalgia.
(Well... It IS the name of the site, after all!)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hello everyone. Can I introduce my newly-published book, Tales from the Waves. This follows my often-precarious studies and subsequent career as an R/O with P & O General Cargo Division. It includes a short history of radio, some details on communications, watch-keeping and distress (at least partly for the benefit of non-R/Os reading the book), some maritime history, and recollections, misadventures and trivia on ports, people, sights, entertainment, and daily life on board. The book is now available on Amazon, and I'm told it will appear on other platforms soon; also the Kindle/e-book should become available in two weeks or so. If you decide to read it I hope you enjoy it! UK link here, and it is in other countries too! Tales from the Waves: My voyages on some of Britain’s last traditional cargo ships: Amazon.co.uk: Guest, Austin: 9781803699837: Books
Hello, Austin. Well done with your book.
I see it is in paperback only. Do you intend a kindle version? I've published two MN memoirs through Amazon, plus historical novels etc. in all formats. I know well how authorship is satisfying, but demands time and energy.
You might be interested to see comparitive figures for PB and eBook sales:
In the last 90 days: 42 paperbacks have been taken up from my publications, but there have been 229 kindle versions. That ratio seems consistent over time.
Amazon have also a scheme where readers pay a premium to read any book on the scheme. In the last 90 days, there have been 63,554 pages of my titles read (authors on the scheme are paid about 0.4 cents per page read- but the amount varies each month). To use that scheme, the author needs to give exclusive rights to Amazon - but can terminate this at any time.
Best wishes for the book - I hope to read it before long.
As a lover of paper books I find this sobering, but such are the days we live in.
Compared to paperback, the electronic books are doing well.

I have not included the sales in our local garden centre because I take payment in plants, seeds and compost.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Hi Austin,
I bought your book and it was an interesting read, very well written.
It was a little depressing to read your decription of the years of decline, which I shared, the sale of whole fleets and, inevitably, redundancy.
Best Regards,
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts