Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is everybody getting sick of theze screens that come up asking you to accept the advertising and spying on you by companies.
I am sure that 99% of people don't want adverts of any sort and these options do not give you a chance to say NO!

And this was brought into force by the EU, but it looks like we are stuck with it.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I am sure that 99% of people don't want adverts of any sort and these options do not give you a chance to say NO!
All those that I have received so far have contained a link to an 'unsubscribe' page, but in any case if you don't answer the email to confirm that you are willing to receive further messages, the law says that they must not contact you.

So you don't need to say NO! you just have to fail to say YES!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Then your screen becomes locked (MAD)
Not mine, I just delete the email that is asking for my response. Some I even mark as spam and block.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Didn't we debate all this last month??

Geoff
Slightly different Geoff. There are two aspects to this; The first was the emails and letters asking people to confirm that they wished to continue being involved in the system. That was what the other thread was all about.
What I think is being queried here are the pop-ups on screen asking you want personalised or general adverts because personalised requires specific tracking and cookies.

Best idea is they one they don't want you to consider - install an ad-blocking add on to your browser.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
What I think is being queried here are the pop-ups on screen asking you want personalised or general adverts because personalised requires specific tracking and cookies.

Best idea is they one they don't want you to consider - install an ad-blocking add on to your browser.
Ah! Now I understand. I don't get pop-ups or adverts because my antivirus and AdBlock prevent them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not mine, I just delete the email that is asking for my response. Some I even mark as spam and block.
Eh! bah! gum lad! tha livs n learns! I'll go to the foot of our stairs!! Who mentioned email, did somebody mention email, nothing to do with email, its when the SN site appears on your screen.

EEh mabel wat's this thing abuut Spam blocker, tint same thing we ad int war waz it

Thanks for your help, I know about spam blockers, ad blockers et al

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Yes you will still get the pop-up, maybe more than once, but just tick the agree to general adverts, not personalised.
If you have an ad-blocker it should just carry on as before. If you don't then you carry on getting adverts as before. They were already doing the tracking, cookies, ads etc but the new part is that they have to ask you before they continue to do so.
Part of the deal in using a commercially owned web forum supported by advertising is that adverts will be sent to you - how you deal with them is up to you but refusal is not an option.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah! Now I understand. I don't get pop-ups or adverts because my antivirus and AdBlock prevent them.
Yes, its the pop ups on various websites particularly the Newsfeeds you get on Tablets. What prompted this post was I got one on SN.
Is AdBlock a separate bit of software you download?

I note the Blue Star website does not have adverts and pop ups, its run by ex mariners.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
The advertisers, in effect, pay the costs of running the website.
If there are no adverts then someone else is paying - It may be subscription, a company or organisation for whom the website itself is the 'advert' or it may be as simple as an altruistic individual. Someone has got to pay.

Ad-blocking software versios are numerous, take your pick. They are downloaded and work as an add-on to your browser.
Some sites insist on you switching it off before they allow you to view content.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts