Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Apart from our Korean spam invader some months ago I have had no issues with the site.

Nevertheless, if change is required so be it and hope it all goes well for us.

Thanks to all admin for being progressive in this matter and I look forward to the positive changes.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
All around us getting better with the new 'technology'. The rub is that we are getting older... in the different direction!

Many thanks all you work.
Kind regards,

Stephen

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
We all must change with the times or be left behind at the starting gate.
Thanks for the very informative post on the future changes.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Yes, great news but bring it on gently , remember that we are all getting older and some slower at learning .

Bob
""

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah well great stuff but I suggest you run the old site in parallel with the new one for a couple of months to ensure there is no 'blackout'. Mind you as long as you are not using the same contractor as the government you should be OK(Jester)

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Please give due attention to the site features such as expanding print size for those of failing vision capability .
Those of us that are in our octanagerian years and older are valuable members not only because 'we were there when it happened' but because many of us find the contact and companionship as a part of our 'social life support' and one if the highlights of the day.

Bob

·
Registered
308 Posts
Go for it - was badly needed. Old site was like something from DOS days! And for the moaning old timers, just like when they joined and on the old site initially, will take a couple of goes to get used to it (if you are leaving just go) .... Only comment so far - needs more 'defination' between posts - the actually text seems lost with the big square user avatars and all the white space.

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
OK... time to make the jump! I see a few things that I don't like. Sadly, no way to 'search' the photo Gallery. That is a most valuable took. My big grumble was how to post photos. Grrrrrr! So, I went about five minutes about to how to do it. Guess what? It took less than a minute. Ten time easier than before!!!!!!! Honestly... even fast than that. The old SN... all photos had to be resized... a first class nuisance. No more! It is automatic. The whole process is a fraction of the time that it too before and far fewer steps! NOW COME THE IMPORTANT PIECE. I TRIED POSTING A SINGLE PHOTO. A TREAT. SO EASY. SO I PUT UP A SECOND, THEN A THIRD, A FOURTH, A FIFTH AND A SIXTH.... OUR OLD MAXIMIUM. HELD MY BREATH AND TRIED TO POST A SEVENTH. IT WORKED!!!!! THEN DID NUMBER EIGHTH AND NINTH... ALL WORKING PERFECTLY! SOME WEEKS AGO I MENTIONED THIS WITH ADMIN. SHIPPING HISTORY HAVE UNLIMITED PHOTOS, WHY NOT SN. WELL, THAT HAVE DONE IT. A PIB PLUS. MANY THANKS ADMIN! OK.... now to sort the 'search' business. There are few other thing I have found... useful things. Try like finding old posts from a thread say a couple of weeks. Hard to remember what they about! Easy now... straight to the old thread. An hour ago I was getting ready to give up. DON'T!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
To add to what Stephen says about uploading pics:
Yesterday I queried the location of 'When Where and by Whom'. - I have now found the answer myself.
The gallery software takes the 'Metadata' attached to a photo file and automatically displays this under the image. So, that appears to be a real positive.
I will have to fire up my scanner to post an image from that to see what data is displayed.
Now to get the SEARCH function restored and also some way of seeing recent comments so that any discussion can be followed.

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all,

Let's try to keep all of the feedback, requests and suggestions in our feedback form. It'll help us focus our efforts and help you find the best resolution possible. You should be able to access that here:

Thanks,
Gerrit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.